Mindmap view

I think it’d be great to have a way to visualise a markdown document as a mindmap.

https://github.com/dundalek/markmap already exists and is javascript, so could be straightforward to integrate.

Interested if anyone else would enjoy this feature or if it should be added to folks’ external editors instead.

14 Likes

There’s a very interesting “younger generation” of markmap, which says it’s based on that repo, but seems more advanced, is being updated now, and includes (apart from math equations) a gatsby plugin.

Looks like it would be much easier to integrate into Joplin, plus it’s up-to-date.

4 Likes

Agree joplin + markmap would integrate well ! I found this but do not know if it is still being developed.

For years I tried various mindmap programs and always quit. To work well, they've got to be very good. I've found one now that allows me to type as fast as I can ideas and then just move them around easily. cut connections, reconnect. It has to be fast. It has to be much better than a simple outline. This is hard to do and I don't think it can be done with md, css, and electron. Real useful mindmapping deserves its own program.

Joplin can always import a PNG of a mindmap, or turn an html outline into a joplin document. But I don't think it can be a really good mindmap program.

I agree that the mind map needs a separate program, but this does not mean that it cannot be integrated into joplin. The following is how I use the mind map in vscode. Since it is an svg file, it can be previewed in markdown at the same time.

使用VSCode绘制思维导图

1 Like

I think that something like markmap with joplin will already go a long way but I agree that it will not be a complete mindmap solution. Some things are already possible with mermaid but I think markmap would be simpler and faster to type.

1 Like

Hello,

I'm very intresting by the mind-map support in joplin.

It would be intrestring to support the markdown mind-map syntaxe for a direct integration into the notes, dont you think ?

Is there something existing i'm missing ?

Thx

A solution like this (logseq) will be good for ex...

If joplin can integrate markmap, it would be very useful for me.

The joplin-plugin-kity-minder by @xeden3 works very well here.

Hello,
I have created a Joplin plugin that allows to display the current note with markmap: daniel/joplin-markmap: Plugin for joplin that can visualise a markmap from the current note - joplin-markmap - Gitea: Git with a cup of tea.
Feedback is always welcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is really cool! And definitely worth starting its own discussion thread in the #plugins category.

Very promising @danielfomin96, thanks for the work!

At present, there is some cross-play at work with another plugin, Kity Minder (v1.0.15 in use).

When your plugin (Markmap: 1.0.0) is installed, Kity Minder changes its behaviour and instead of opening its normal interface to create a diagram, it appears to output a diagram using your plugin.

Joplin 2.10.13 (prod, linux)

Thank you for testing the plugin! I have now fixed the cross-play in version 1.0.2 of the plugin.

1 Like

Thank you! I have started a new discussion thread on Plugin: MarkMap.

Fully agree, speed and a small number of keystrokes per "new node" are essential. That is why Freemind was great, and Simplemind isn't. But back to Joplin, if one could paste a mindmap into Joplin (manually or automaticlly) that would be a great feature.

Thank you very much for your praise. I have upgraded to version 1.0.16, mainly to update the language packs including Japanese, German, Polish, etc. Since I do not understand languages ​​other than English and Chinese, if there is a mistake in the translation, or because of the translation The text in the post is too long, which will affect the effect of the page. Please go to github to commit the language pack file, and I will update it regularly.

:slight_smile:

1 Like