Merge two joplin installations

A few years ago I tried Joplin for a few months and abandoned it because, at the time, there were a few bugs with Linux that were a deal killer for me.

About a year ago I tried again and the problems were gone so I started using it again and merged into it thousands of notes from other sources. I forgot about the old installation. I recently found it on a backup and I'd like to merge it to my current install.

I thought of changing config/joplin-desktop to joplin-desktop.safe, substituting the old joplin-desktop, starting joplin and exporting all to a jex, restore joplin-desktop.safe, start joplin and merge.

I have two concerns:

will I screw up my sync when I open the old version?
the old version has only these files:

database.sqlite
log-database.txt
log.txt
resources
window-state-prod.json

while the new version has several more.

What's the best way to do this?

I'd be devastated if I lost any part of my Joplin "Peripheral brain"

TIA

Joplin 2.5.10 (prod, linux)
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 39
Keychain Supported: No
Revision: b80242d

Linux Mint 20.2

No idea what version the old data files were created with.

Your plan should work, just backup everything first.

• Backup your old joplin-desktop directory and backup your new one
  • Export your new/current system as JEX as an additional safeguard

An alternative, if you have a windows machine available (or possibly via WINE?) is to download Joplin portable, start it once and put your old config in there in place of the one it makes (it creates the config directory in the same directory it is run from).

If you have a sync target then you might want to take your machine off the network whilst you do it to prevent any syncing accidents from the old system.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.