Markdown editor text not updating Viewer text

Hi,

I have a problem that while entering a new note in markdown, the Display view stops updating sometimes. I can continue entering text in the editor but nothing updates in the Viewer. If I close Joplin, nothing is saved beyond the last thing displayed in the viewer. Restarting Joplin solves the problem until it happens again. I am unable to detect a trigger for it happening.

When this happens I can switch to different layout views but I cannot leave the note itself. Click on different notes on the left hand side has not effect.

I am using Joplin Desktop on Arch Linux.
Joplin 1.0.201 (prod, linux)
Client ID: c5809c04eac5433f99f13bede3b05fa3
Sync Version: 1
Profile Version: 28
Revision: b665f4d (master)

It’s probably this bug: https://github.com/laurent22/joplin/issues/3114 We’re looking into it but not sure yet what the fix might be.

2 Likes

That does appear to be the case. I am using kernel 5.6.10-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat, 02 May 2020 19:11:54 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux Will follow the github issues, thanks.

@stevesong as the maintainer of that bug, any help there is welcome. :wink:

why would you maintain a bug rather than fix it? :thinking:

2 Likes

Bad wording. When I say maintainer, I mean I'm maintaining the discussion leading to finding a fix for it. It is a Linux specific bug that is pretty unique and the original bug report was something like 400 posts long. So, I'm more of a moderator for it than the actual person fixing it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That was supposed to be a joke, sorry if it was not clear.

I’ve seen this bug - looks super interesing, almost makes me want install linux and debug it.

3 Likes

Do IT!!! If you want, you should be good running a VirtualBox instance and debugging that way (although, depending on your hardware, it may be slow or not usable for normal usage).

Yeah, I am pretty sure that there are a lot of issues piling up that are all the same issue: For example, #2607, #2682, #3110, and now, #3114.

I can go an entire day without a problem. Then other days where it stops functioning sporadically. I can’t see a pattern, but I suspect it has something to do with syncing or network time outs, or something. But these are wild guesses.

1 Like