Learning Joplin For Beginners

Ahoy! (you can introduce yourself that way when you live on a boat) And Gudday! (You get to say that when you are Australian). Looking for some help. I am new here and have joined the Joplin community to start learning this useful app. I have been using Evernote for many years but decided to switch to Joplin. What I am looking for is a place that I can learn Joplin e.g. a youtube channel (or similar) where I can watch and copy tutorials to teach myself how to get the most out of Joplin. If any of you kind people can point me in the right direction, I will be very happy and grateful.

Captain Anderson

I don't know if there are any official or otherwise how-to youtube videos (mostly I saw reviews before coming over), but if you're coming over from Evernote, Joplin is fairly similar. If there are particular things you did in Evernote, but don't know how to replicate here, ask away. Not every feature in Evernote is available here, but there are features in Joplin that are not available in Evernote (also depends on which version of EN you were using - Win or Mac).

1 Like

Thanks for the response, mate. Joplin does seem pretty easy to muddle my way through. I was setting up the synch to dropbox and figured I must be doing something wrong because. My notes / notebooks will duplicate there but they have long, auto-generated, alpha-numeric titles that would make it pretty hard to manage efficiently. Simple things like that I was hoping to learn without having to make all of the mistakes first.

A good tip is to go through the menus, and check what's available there. In general we try to make sure that any feature has a corresponding menu item as that makes it self-documenting, so if you want to get an idea of what the app can do, simply checking the menu is a good way.

2 Likes

Ahoy Captain. You can say that if you are in Slovakia :wink:
Don't worry about the strange file names. You manage the notes from within Joplin, not from the file browser or online in Dropbox

1 Like

The sync folder and its contents are not meant for user manipulation (which is why the names in there are meaningless to us). Only access your notes via the Joplin apps, otherwise you corrupting the database.

I appreciate your tips, thanks a lot!

Understood. It's purely my own paranoia that makes me fuss so much over backups. I don't see a reason that I would ever want to 'manage' my notes outside of Joplin but I wanted to make sure they were easy to look through and find if something horrible did ever go wrong.

Use the Backup plugin to make JEX backups. The sync folder is not a backup.

2 Likes

To be clear, are you telling me that there is a Backup plugin for Joplin? If there is I'd be ever so appreciative if you would tell me where to find it. Thanks again!

Go to Tools Menu > Options
In Options click Plugins, then search for Simple Backup

1 Like

Hey that's great news! I just installed it but when I click on Tools > Create Backup it gives me a message that Backup Error - Backup path " Does Not Exist. Clearly I did something wrong.

You have to specify the backup path. Go to Tools > Options, then look for the Backup plugin's settings. Tip going forward: many (but not all) of the plugins have their own user adjustable settings, so look for those whenever you install a plugin.

1 Like

Much thanks again! Sadly, I might need to uninstall and reinstall Joplin. When I co Tools > Options I get this error...

Version info
Joplin for Desktop

Copyright © 2016-2021 Laurent Cozic
Joplin 1.6.8 (prod, win32)

Client ID: ad1a4b7457bc474287f460b94f4c0f71
Sync Version: 2
Profile Version: 34
Keychain Supported: Yes

Revision: fc7bd41c1 (master)
Stack trace
TypeError: md.options is not a function
at ConfigScreenComponent.settingToComponent (C:\Program Files\Joplin\resources\app.asar\gui\ConfigScreen\ConfigScreen.js:331:39)
at createSettingComponents (C:\Program Files\Joplin\resources\app.asar\gui\ConfigScreen\ConfigScreen.js:144:42)
at ConfigScreenComponent.sectionToComponent (C:\Program Files\Joplin\resources\app.asar\gui\ConfigScreen\ConfigScreen.js:149:30)
at Object.shared.settingsToComponents2 (C:\Program Files\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules@joplin\lib\components\shared\config-shared.js:184:28)
at ConfigScreenComponent.render (C:\Program Files\Joplin\resources\app.asar\gui\ConfigScreen\ConfigScreen.js:528:37)
at finishClassComponent (C:\Program Files\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\react-dom\cjs\react-dom.development.js:17039:31)
at updateClassComponent (C:\Program Files\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\react-dom\cjs\react-dom.development.js:16994:24)
at beginWork$1 (C:\Program Files\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\react-dom\cjs\react-dom.development.js:18505:16)
at HTMLUnknownElement.callCallback (C:\Program Files\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\react-dom\cjs\react-dom.development.js:347:14)
at Object.invokeGuardedCallbackDev (C:\Program Files\Joplin\resources\app.asar\node_modules\react-dom\cjs\react-dom.development.js:397:16)
Component stack

in ConfigScreenComponent (created by Connect(ConfigScreenComponent))
in Connect(ConfigScreenComponent) (created by NavigatorComponent)
in div (created by NavigatorComponent)
in NavigatorComponent (created by Connect(NavigatorComponent))
in Connect(NavigatorComponent) (created by RootComponent)
in ThemeProvider (created by RootComponent)
in StyleSheetManager (created by RootComponent)
in RootComponent (created by Connect(RootComponent))
in Connect(RootComponent)
in ErrorBoundary
in Provider

This is an old version, the latest is 1.7.11. Updating will probably resolve the issue.

1 Like

Correctamundo, updating Joplin removed that error. Thank you very much.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

1 Like