Joplin's scalability

Hello,

I'm using (Debian) Linux and looking for a note-taking application (deploying Zettelkasten method) on which I can settle for a longer time...Was exploring Emacs/org-roam, but since I plan to use (neo)vim, I want something to allow me using my preferred editor.

Joplin is one of the strongest candidates and I wonder how does it scale, iow. is it still usable on a system containing thousands or ten-thousands notes?

Any experience?

1 Like

As I understand you won't have any problem with the number of notes itself, but you might have with the size of individual notes. In particular it might not be possible to save very large notes on Android due to a limitation of some devices.

1 Like

[quote="laurent, post:2, topic:20862, full:true"]
As I understand you won't have any problem with the number of notes itself, but you might have with the size of individual notes.[/quote]

Thanks! I'm considering to mostly have ZK-notes which are short or atomic. :slight_smile:

That's OK...I might just occasionally take some note on the phone. However, I'd like to be able to take notes while being online using some other computer and then sync them with my desktop. Is it possible to do it with the Cloud service and/or which plan?

If the notes are short I expect it should be fine then. Your initial sync is going to be heavy so you should do it from the desktop app first and let it run to completion, making sure the device doesn't go on standby.

On Android it will be the same. For a very large sync like this you might want to change the device settings and make sure it doesn't go on standby while syncing during the first sync. It will resume if it's interrupted of course, but it will take longer overall. The best way is to sync uninterrupted once.

Yes any of Joplin Cloud plan would work or in fact any other sync target, keeping in mind that the Joplin Cloud Basic plan has 1GB storage and the Pro plan 10GB.

Great!

Ok, at the moment I am trying to import 10K MD files and it takes some time. :laughing:

If I decide to stay with Joplin, I prefer to use Joplin Cloud as a mean to provide some modest support to this wonderful project..it would be even the exception for me when it comes to running Electron-based projects. :wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.