Using large note database (6+ GB) with Joplin on android

Hello all,
I'm trying o port all my Evernote notes to Joplin.
This is easy on my local network on windows using the webdav protocol provided by my Qnap NAS.
But problems arise when I try to use joplin on mobile (android): it's terribly slow. It would take hours to sync. And it seems I need to wake up my phone to make the sync process go on. I already set the Joplin application to run in the background...
So, I'm trying to find an alternative.
I would like to use a free cloud service but the default Joplin ones cannot handle 6GB for free.
The only one is MEGA that provides 25 GB.
But there is no option to syncronize my notes using MEGA.
Is there a way to use Joplin with Mega?
If so, please explain this as I am an end user and not a programmer.
TIA
tony
P.s.: Kudos to all Joplin contributors, anyway. This is a great alternative to Evernote.

I'm biased, but how about using file system sync with Syncthing or similar solutions?

You do need to have enough space to store everything on the device itself, and at least one of the other devices needs to be turned on for the synchronisation to work, but other than that, the Joplin synchronisation is 100% local (i.e. it copies files from the local disk), so it should be pretty fast. Syncthing itself is also quite fast, as long as the hardware is decent.

1 Like

You could disable downloading resources (see in the Options), which might help a bit.

Perhaps I found a compromise: using the MEGA cloud and his sync functions on desktop and the app MegaSync on my android phones.
The downside is that I need to keep all Joplin resources on the phone (6GB+ space). :astonished:
The sync is fast enough now.
Feel free to point me to another and better solution.
Ciao!
Tony

I want just to add that the sync folder is not the Joplin data folder. So, the data (and attachments) that will be read on mobile will be copied to the Joplin folder. So, I need to have at least double 6GB (12GB and growing...) space on android... :dizzy_face:
At long last this setup is intended for advanced users only. This is not doable for a basic user (99% of users).
At this point, a Mega native option would be useful to save lots of space on mobile.
Tony

My scenario is this:
Desktop: set Joplin to use "file system" as sync option; using MEGA local folder synchronized with a folder in the cloud.
Android: set Joplin to use "file system" as sync option; using the app MEGASync to sync a local folder on the device with the online one (the same online folder set in the desktop, obviously).

Note1: on Android it took hours for the first sync (attachments set to auto); I had to clck the sync button every now and then because Joplin said completed while it was not (no notebook shown, when there are at least 50 noteboks on the desktop database). I've set Joplin to run in the background and do not optimize battery usage, but it seems that joplin processes are suspended when the phone screen is off.

Nope. I can't get Joplin to sync correctly. I can't make a note added on android to appear on Desktop (windows 10). No matter if I use auto or manual sync on both devides.

I think I'l drop Joplin at the moment and stick with evernote for another year :pensive:.
I'll surely reconsider Joplin in the future, anyway.
Bye.
Tony

Joplin has no background sync. Your Phone must be keept on and Joplin must run in the foreground.
When not, the Sync would be interrupted.

Just asking cause I am genuinely intrigued and also I want to be prepared when I get there. How did you accumulate 6+GB of notes? Is it cause you have been taking note digitally for years? Do you include a lot of images/files?

I have been using jopling for a year and a half maybe a bit more. I do take screenshots frequently and link some files but my JoplinProfile folder is only around 230MB and jex back up file like a 100MB. So by proportion I expect that I would hit the 1GB in 10 years time or so

Not directly related with the problem at hand, but I personally suggest using software like FileOptimizer (licensed with AGPL, but Windows-only), which uses a collection of tools to losslessly compress various file formats. I would expect at least 10-20% reduction in size when it comes to images (unless you've used other tools to losslessly compress them already). I've used it on my resources folder too.

Of course, if you do decide to compress your files, even losslessly, always make a back up before processing any important data.

1 Like

I use Evernote to store any kind of info (manuals, memos, webpages,...) since at least 10+ years. At first I used the free account but it was useless with multiple devices. Then I switched to a plan that doesn't exist anymore (evernotye plus: 15€/Year) and evernote keep asking me to upgrade...
Tony

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.