Joplin will be at FOSDEM in 2024!

We will have a stand at the open-source event FOSDEM next year to present Joplin.

Come and say hi in Brussel on the 3 & 4 February 2024!

11 Likes

:+1:t2: Please take & publish pictures!

2 Likes

Will do!

2 Likes

I see you'll be close to Nextcloud. Maybe have a word with them about their WebDAV implementation :wink:

3 Likes

Indeed that will be a good opportunity, I'm curious if they know why there is this performance issue on WebDAV.

1 Like

I am afraid you won't get an answer. I've sent countless issues and forum posts which also include the question why they don't fix basic features within their core infrastructure.
They only get angry and tell you to get an enterprise account, or that Nextcloud is opensource and one can fix issues themselves.
I gave up on trying to get any useful info out of the nc devs. I have a long list of things that are fundamentally broken, yet ignored by the devs.

I guess it will be different if we can chat informally in person. Last time I went there as a visitor one of their dev was nice enough to explain how the Nextcloud share API works and how I could potentially use it for Joplin (although that idea got anywhere). They still have good developers but the project direction as a whole is questionable.

As a user I stopped my Nextcloud instance because there are too many obvious bugs, which makes me think there are also a lot of non-obvious ones and potential security vulnerabilities.

3 Likes

Will be interesting to hear what you learn. I used Nextcloud when I first moved to Joplin; awful experience. Switched to dropbox and no problems. I have a free 7GB at Nextcloud that remains unused; I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Nextcloud suffers from some of the common problems of large FOSS projects and as much as it leaves a few things to be desired, the ability to maintain custody of my own data is invaluable.

Absolutely! And perfectly true not only for Nextcloud, but for Joplin as well :smiley:

Hey cool. I used to attend periodically a number of years ago. It's a uniquely chaotic event … in a good way. :slight_smile: Have fun and post about it. Cheers -t

1 Like

Just a reminder that we'll be there this weekend, hope to see some of you!

1 Like

Here was are! It's very busy compared to other conferences we've been, and it's great to have the opportunity to meet users. Come and say hi if you're around!

7 Likes

Great picture. I hope your journey also takes you to Turkey. Turkish users are genuinely interested in free software and applications in the field of informatics. I believe your work will be appreciated here as well.

1 Like

I'd certainly like that if we can. We're also considering Germany too and possibly UK.

3 Likes