Joplin Web Clipper license and repository

I would like to add functionalities to the web clipper.
Under what licenses have the extension been released? Is there a source code repository available or should we just extract the code from the extensions?

The code source is there: joplin/packages/app-clipper at dev · laurent22/joplin · GitHub and it's open source under AGPL.

If there's a feature you'd like to add perhaps discuss it here first so that there's a some sort of agreement. It ensures the time you spent will be for something we'll want to merge

1 Like

Thank you!
Sure. Its all about sticky notes on web pages and collaborative work.
I am a big fan of standard notes and Joplin, I use both to basically keep track of solutions I found for problems of my everyday tasks as a programmer. The kind of solutions and tricks that should be "in the docs" but aren´t and make you lose hours, days ....
I am sure many other programmers maintain their own knowledge base using note taking apps but this knowledge would be of better use if it was shared. Where to share it ? I think the best place is straight on the docs. But wait, the docs are no wiki so how ? Using a browser extension that allows you to leave sticky notes on web pages. Each time you visit the page again your note will appear so you don t need to digg it again inside your joplin. And of course others can see your notes when they browse the same page. I found an extension to leave sticky notes , it s called Note Anywhere https:// chrome. google. com/webstore/detail/note-anywhere/bohahkiiknkelflnjjlipnaeapefmjbh , I love it´s simplicity. It s lacking the sharing part though but that would nt be too hard to code. With that kind of tool, every web page becomes a potential playground for people to share and enhance knowledge and maybe even interact and create communities. Some kind of augmented web.
So technically speaking the goal would be to mix "Joplin web clipper" with "Note Anywhere" and at some sharing functionnality and see what happens.

2 Likes

You might take a look at MemoInjo - stick a memo on any website and store/sync via Joplin. It implements the sticky notes part. Maybe it can be extended by collaboration/sharing.

That seems like a big project, but if you have some ideas on how to implement this feel free to give it a try. It's something we would indeed be interested in

1 Like

That s a great extension , thank you @Marph for pointing me to it. It implements the sync part between url and joplin. While that feature works perfectly (it also points to related memos which is interesting) I think the sticky note part could be enhanced with what Note Anywhere does: floating sticky notes you can position anywhere you want ( so it kind of "annotates" a specific part of the webpage) and allows to create multiple notes on a same webpage.

1 Like

For the "shared data" database I was thinking of some firebase implementation but I discovered an alternative recently called appwrite which is open source too and can be selfhosted so I want to give it a try. It has a js sdk but I have no feedback of how well this sdk works inside an "extension" runtime.
For the extension part, I am thinking of some greasemonkey like userscript (probably with open source violentmonkey` just to speedup development with one codebase for firefox/chrome...
update: memoinjo managed to generate extensions with one codebase so I'll stick to that technique for now