Joplin web clipper for Android using 'Share' functionality

Hey Laurent and team.

By sharing a web page from mobile browser through Notion or Evernote or OneNote app, the webpage is clipped to those respective platforms.

Since, these platforms don't clip pages client-side but Joplin does, will this feature not work with Joplin?

Right now, sharing a mobile browser webpage, only opens a note with the link included.

Is this possible feature request? Will rendering clippings from mobile view not work properly?

5 Likes

It can't work locally so if it's ever implemented it will be on Joplin Server.

Why can't it?

In fact I've tried implementing it but got stuck trying to get readability to work outside of browser. There's GitHub - g6ling/react-native-html-parser: can use html parser in react-native/titanium and anywhere but couldn't get it to work.

There's quite a bit of processing that needs to be done to import a web page, images and styling into Joplin and it would be tricky to get it working in mobile. Also these days you have to load the page in a headless browser to get the proper rendering and that also would be hard on mobile.

Yeah, agree. I though if we could at least clip simple pages that aren't too JS-heavy that'd be better than nothing.

The current sharing system attached a url to the note. A plugin on desktop could be written that does the clipping based on that url. It's not as friendly as clipping on device, but it would get a better clip.

1 Like

There's quite a bit of processing that needs to be done to import a web page, images and styling into Joplin and it would be tricky to get it working in mobile.

I had opened a issue on Github where you mentioned that clipping simplified pages uses "Reader View from Firefox" libraries. Since Reader View is also available on Firefox mobile, it should be doable to clip simplified pages from Android client-side right?

1 Like

The difference as I understand is that in browser the lib has access to the rendered page which for instance can be created dynamically by scripts. Doing the same in mobile client requires implementing a significant part of a Web browser essentially. It's probably doable but creates tons of issues e.g. with security if we allow executing code from arbitrary webpages.

Here's a fun experiment - turn off javascript in your browser and browse your favorite website. This would be roughly what a naive implementation of mobile Web clipper would get

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.