Joplin-vieweb: a simple web viewer/editor for Joplin notes

great idea

New release

V1.13 of joplin-vieweb.

Features

• Notes history: list of the latest notes consulted, to be able to open them quickly, or pin them
    demo_joplin_notes_history
  • Tabs in notes (not displayed in joplin applications). Syntax here.

Small ENH

• Login screen "theme" in joplin-vieweb site flavor
  • In note edition: when title gets focus: select all.

Upgrade

• Upgrade procedure
    WARNING:
    Don't forget to add the max history depth in settings.py:
JOPLIN_NOTES_HISTORY_DEPTH = 10

Bug / ENH fixes

• Tables are now rendered in note view
  • empty tag are not added
  • support mardown highlight with == syntax ==
  • clicking on a header on note TOC scrolls to that header (instead of opening a new window)
  • When user confirms checkboxes changes in a note, the note is not reloaded again (avoid blinking effect).
  • Same html render in compose preview than in note view
  • scroll bars are now also thin in chrome browsers.

Other

I also document a way to autostart the app on the server (crontab starts a screen session with Joplin terminal in a tab, and django joplin-vieweb in another). I chose screen to attach to it when I want to upgrade (I'm not fond of systemd). See here.

Hello.

New release 1.14 of joplin-iueweb.

This release

is mainly for fix of a major bug:
Fix #62: notes after the hundredth are not displayed.

Feature:

• #36: display synchro message while sync'ing:

Other bug fix:

• #33: (technical) better synchro handling at site startup.
1 Like

It seems that you are indeed planning to make a joplin web client

3 Likes

It's ready.
But you have to run you personal server that runs django.
Here is how I did at home.

1 Like

Hello.
New version 1.15 of joplin-vieweb.

Features

• Code blocks are foldable:
    2021-09-11 22-46-51
  • keyboard shortcuts:
    • e to enter note edition
    • ctrl + s to save note edition
    • Escape to exit note edition
    • ↑ to go to upper notebook
    • ↓ to go to lower notebook

Here is documentation for install / upgrade.

2 Likes

Some bugs fixes in 1.15.4:

• 'e' key was not working anymore in note edition (not so impactful, this letter is rarely used in most languages :wink: )
  • table of content was below code blocks
  • first line of code blocks can't be selected
  • first header link in toc cannot be clicked
1 Like

Hello all!

What a great project! Thank you all!

Though, are there any docker images available with joplin-vieweb?
If not I'd like to help making it happen, I can help with the dockerfile and testing, but django stuff is not my thing.
And to make things easier I think that for it to happen the joplinweb/settings.py would need to be edited to get parameters from environment variables.

1 Like

Hello.
Thank you.

Great news that you'd like to contribute.
On my part, I have a docker training this year with my society :wink: but not so soon.

I'll change the settings to be used as env variables on a dedicated branch on github and let you know so you can play with it. I'll try to do that this week end...

Hello.
I don't know how to send you private message: it seems I cannot through this discourse.
Please contact me through the github project, then we'll be able to exchange by mail.

In the meanwhile, I've created a "docker" branch on the github project, and I moved all variables from django settings file to OS env variable.

Here they are:
"env": {
"JOPLIN_SERVER_URL": "http://127.0.0.1",
"JOPLIN_SERVER_PORT" : "41184",
"JOPLIN_SERVER_TOKEN" : "c0e4381fdb72159d513e0be72d14aec3b04a2ca62b2c60efcd2c365e6ff92869c439a053c57c805af913198ebabffd47f7b961aec8b4295fe508ed1533e21d20",
"JOPLIN_LOGIN_REQUIRED" : "True",
"JOPLIN_RESSOURCES_PATH" : "C:\Users\frguni0\.config\joplin-desktop\resources",
"JOPLIN_SYNC_PERIOD_S" : "86400",
"JOPLIN_SYNC_INFO_FILE" : "C:\Users\frguni0\.config\joplin-desktop\resources\joplin_vieweb_sync_info",
"JOPLIN_NOTES_HISTORY_DEPTH" : "10"
}

• JOPLIN_LOGIN_REQUIRED: don't set it to skip authentication requirement, set it to "True" to enable.
  • JOPLIN_SYNC_PERIOD_S: don't set it to disable sync
1 Like

Hi, busy WE.

Thanks for that I'll look into it asap and will ping you in github.

New version with hyperlink preview

Hello.
New version 1.16.1 of joplin-vieweb:
Hyperlink preview on mouse hover:
2022-02-08 10-31-54

3 Likes

I'm very excited for this project because it's exactly what i'm missing for Joplin. Have you considered a more modern frontend, like a single-page-application? I peeked into the source code and saw a lot of script tags, globals and jQuery. If you're interested, i'd love to help out with the frontend in particular - but i don't know anything about Python yet.

Hello.
I agree with yoo about front end technology.
I started this project as a quick try to see if I can provide a web view of my notes.
It took one-week end to have the listing of notebook and notes and to display them. And I did with "direct javascript, jquery...")
My wish was to learn and build on Vuejs, but I never took the time... and now I have it all in jquery, and I agree it's a lot of dom manipulation, not so easy to write an maintain code.

Maybe one day I'll restart, but it's a hard period for me at work, and I have no time for a while.

However, if you would start a branch with vuejs, or react or... I'll be happy to do the back part, since it's quite easy: almost everything is already done by joplin terminal, and the remining in python is quite straightforward.

So... if you start something in orange :wink: we can work together with front / back

That sounds exiting! I'll get on it, i'll figure out how to get the backend running :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Read the end of readme. I did it 2 days ago for a computer change. I work finall yon windows, but reading the script setup_dev_env.sh is quite straigthforward. If you need help or have questions: let's continue on github project discussion

FYI I am working on delivering docker images so the deployment is done with docker-compose.
Work is ongoing.

Hello !

It's been a long time, because "I learned Docker" (and the application to joplin-vieweb hurt a bit :wink: )

So... I'm happy to deliver joplin-vieweb as docker images.
The objective was to drastically simplify the install procedure, and now it's:

sudo docker-compose up

(After 2 or 3 settings :slight_smile: )

The new project is now here on github.

Don't hesitate to give feedbacks, I would appreciate, even if it's about bugs.

4 Likes

Hello.

Some new features for joplin-vieweb.

• v2.0.3 brings the logout feature
  • v2.1.0 brings the syncho with joplin server.
  • And today v2.2.0 brings KaTeX rendering. Don't hesitate to give feedback on it.
3 Likes

I think in order to not mix up the two things, you should call it KaTeX rendering and not LaTeX rendering...or just TeX? What do you think?

Best regards