Joplin Server :latest?

@laurent

I notice that a lot of recent changes in the Joplin Server software seem to be focussed on the Joplin Cloud implementation. Most of this will not affect self-hosted users who will probably just want a single user account.

So I am wondering when you may decide that a version of Joplin Server is "release" or, in docker terms :latest. I only ask as I have a Nextcloud server that is annoying me and needs to be nuked!

Edit: "When it's ready" is an acceptable answer...

I guess once Joplin Cloud is released officially I could also release the stable version of Joplin Server, since it should be mostly bug free. It should be in a few days I think.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. It's just that when you start using :latest I can start using Watchtower to keep the server up-to-date.

I'm not familiar with it, but how does it handle breaking changes? They're likely to be rare but they might happen on non-patch releases, eg when going from 2.2.6 to 2.3.1

I guess that it will just break if there is a reason to break. I have only used it on a Pi4 that was monitoring florider89's image whilst he was, briefly, using the latest tag (he then fell in line with the release= :latest and pre-release = :2.2.x-beta system). The server updated fine every time but, yes, I guess a big change could break things. From what i can see it just monitors image changes and pulls and applies it. A bit like just updating Joplin when it tells you there is a new release version.

You have to tag the images with additinal tags.

Tags:

• latest are always the most recent released version
  • Major versions tag for the latest version of the Major version 1, 2, ...
  • Specific minor versions 1.1, 2.1, ...
  • Specific patch versions 1.1.1, 1.1.2, ...

Than you can use

• joplin/server:latest you get alwas the newst release
  • joplin/server:2 you get alwas the newst release from V2
  • joplin/server:2.1 you get alwas the newst release from V2.1
  • joplin/server:2.1.1 You stay on the version
3 Likes

For information I've now created a new script so that I can mark any beta, once it's proven, as "latest".

So that will make it easier for me to quickly tag a release without having to rebuild everything, and also for users since you can now more frequently get updates (provided you use latest).

Just update server from joplin/server:2.4.1 to joplin/server:latest. Finally get server version 2.4.8

For what it's worth I just installed one, and it's 2.6.14.

But I'm collaborating with Hi-Ko here: GitHub - hi-ko/joplin-server-ubuntu-install: install joplin-server on Ubuntu 20