Home / GitHub Page

Jex.-export stalling

For quite some time now I haven’t been able to backup my notes. Exporting to JEX never finishes.

I have no idea what might be causing this. Haven’t found anything helpful on the forum, either.

1 Like

did you try to export notebook by notebook so you could spot the note that could be the problem ?

Thanks! Found the one notebook with several subfolders that got stalling.

Could you please advice me how to find the one note that is the root cause.

And about the resources: Do I need to make a separate backup of the resource-folder?

Could you open the console while it’s running to see if there’s any error? https://joplinapp.org/debugging

Saved flags.txt in config alongside the joplin-desktop folder. Cannot see the dev tools after restart, however. Just pasted the text as is from the debugging info page to the .txt file.

Did you completely exit the application (by right clicking on the tray icon) and restart?

Yes (or ctrl-Q).

Then I don’t know what can be done. There’s not enough info to help unfortunately.

flags.txt must be in the joplin-desktop folder, not next to it.

This worked. And, yes, should have been smart enough to try it out as one of the options myself :slight_smile:. I misunderstood the text on the debugging info page. Focused only on “config”, not the directory example following it: “Add a file named “flags.txt” in the config directory (should be ~/.config/joplin-desktop or …”. Baby steps…

I removed the note shown in console as problematic. Everything started to work.

Thank you for your help!

Would you mind sharing the error you got in the console, so that if it happens to other users we know how to fix it?

You’re welcome. Did you figure out what caused the problem? It would be interesting to know why this particular note did not want to be exported.

Oh, didn’t come to think of it and made no copies of the console message, sorry. Does the console keep a history somewhere?

The problem was a .mhtml-file. I tried to replicate the problem in unsynced Joplin on my backup laptop. But strange enough, exported with flying colours. Then updated Joplin to .167, kept the .mhtml as a resource, and exported successfully.

Finally, attached this very same .mhtml again on my first laptop. Exported without console nagging about anything.

Searched the logs. It seems that the resource-.mhtml has refused to be decrypted for quite some time. Saving and reattaching it solved the jex-problem. Removed both the .mhtml and corresponding .md from the cloud and .config by hand. Succesfully. But was unable to do the same to the .md-file. A Nextcloud-thing, perhaps? In Synchronisation Status Joplin Desktop still maintains, that it cannot decrypt the .mhtml - and while syncing tries to decrypt it continously.

Here’s the decrypting log of the .mhtml:

2019-08-12 12:08:19: “DecryptionWorker: error for: b540e13769b149ffaa2aa86f03c55058 (resources)”, “Error: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘C:\Users\.config\joplin-desktop\resources\b540e13769b149ffaa2aa86f03c55058.crypted’. Path: C:\Users/.config/joplin-desktop/resources/b540e13769b149ffaa2aa86f03c55058.crypted
Code: ENOENT
Error: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘C:\Users\.config\joplin-desktop\resources\b540e13769b149ffaa2aa86f03c55058.crypted’. Path: C:\Users/.config/joplin-desktop/resources/b540e13769b149ffaa2aa86f03c55058.crypted
at FsDriverNode.fsErrorToJsError_ (C:\Users\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\lib\fs-driver-node.js:10:16)
at FsDriverNode.open (C:\Users\AppData\Local\Programs\Joplin\resources\app.asar\lib\fs-driver-node.js:137:15)”, “{“id”:“b540e13769b149ffaa2aa86f03c55058”,“title”:“Kolmekymppinen! Aloita säästäminen vanhuuden varalle nyt – “Ettei eläkkeellä tarvitsisi tinkiä kodista tai terveydestä” _ Yle Uutiset _ yle.fi.mhtml”,“mime”:“application/octet-stream”,“filename”:”",“created_time”:1557588921947,“updated_time”:1557588921947,“user_created_time”:1557588921947,“user_updated_time”:1557588921947,“file_extension”:“mhtml”,“encryption_cipher_text”:"",“encryption_applied”:0,“encryption_blob_encrypted”:1,“size”:-1,“type_”:4}"

Managed to remove from the cloud. No more upload errors. I also have one note+resource pair (.nomedia) which refuses to be uploaded. Getting sync error even after I both removed the resource from .config/resources and the Joplin-search finds no note instance. Neither can be found in the cloud.