Immediately freezes; goes white; requires Force Quit

Operating system

macOS

Joplin version

Sync target

Joplin Cloud

What issue do you have?

When I open Joplin: it does open, but almost immediately freezes and then turns completely white. I have to then force quit.

Any plugins? And could you check the log?

Thanks Laurent. I don't have any plugins. What is the best way to check the log? (Note: I'm not a developer so hopefully there's a fairly straight-forward way).

It's explained in How to enable debugging | Joplin

You entered an incorrect username or password for Joplin Cloud but other than that I'm not seeing anything that could cause this freeze. Is it still happening?

While version 2.12.19 works fine for me, this sounds similar to an issue I was experiencing on Linux (Ubuntu 23.10) with a particular version of one of Joplin's dependencies (Electron v26).

The version 2.13.6 prerelease uses a different version of Electron from version 2.12.19, which might work better.

If you do try version 2.13.6, use the Joplin-2.13.6-arm64.DMG version if you're on an M1 Mac. Use the Joplin-2.13.6.dmg if you're on an x86_64 (intel) Mac.

Yes it is still happening. I have tried to install different versions of the software, etc.

which version of osx ? when did you update to that version? did the problem occur right after that ?

Hmm... now that you mention it. that could be it. I'm running macos Ventura 13.6.2

I think someone else mentioned having issues with Ventura. I never upgrade macOS unless I'm forced to (for example to use the latest version of XCode) so I won't be able to replicate this. Perhaps a video might help? Does it freeze as soon as you start the app or after a delay?

the interface itself appears, but freezes. I am able though, for about 10 seconds, to utilize the drop-down menu, which is how I was able to check the log. Then the interface turns completely white and I'm prevented from doing anything.

also: I have to upgrade b/c I use a company-issued laptop and they require it.

If you open the app from the terminal using /Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/MacOS/Joplin, does it show any additional messages in there?

I'm running MacOS Sonoma 14.1.1 (x86_64) and Joplin 2.13.6 seems to work for me.

(I haven't recently tested Joplin 2.12.19 on that device though.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.