How do I use Files App in iOS to Sync with Mac

Mac Version: Joplin 2.4.9 (prod, darwin)

Client ID: ec2065f58b0f44bb97b333f221c73866
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 39
Keychain Supported: Yes

Revision: bb44c4e

MacOS 11.6

iOS Version: 12.4.2 DB v39
iOS 15.0

I'm a new user and excited to get going.

On Mac I chose "File System" as the Sync Location and created a folder in Resilio Sync which we use as a private cloud.

When I went to iOS I couldn't see any way to access any of the services present in the Files app. That's the way we access Resilio Sync on iOS - it simply appears as a location in the files app.

Are there any Sync settings that will allow me to access a location in the Files app on iOS? This would allow a really simple way of sharing Joplin content for us.

If I understand correctly, Joplin must use sync services "directly" and is not file-based in the way you describe.

So you cant sync a "Joplin directory" with files and get another Joplin client to talk to those files.

Alternative would be folder/file based hierarchy of markdown files, without a database.
And use your sync service to distribute and update markdown files.

But Joplin syncs "notes in database" instead of "notes in files".

If Resilio has an API and somebody writes code for Joplin to use it it would appear next to Dropbox and OneDrive etc.
And not via "file system".

Thank you for your response.

The challenge therefore is that Joplin allows sync via the “file system” on macOS but does not allow the same sync via the “file system” on iOS.

This makes use of the file system option in macOS rather pointless as I understand correctly.

Whether Joplin utilises a database or some other file structure would not seem to be relevant. The challenge is how that file structure, whatever it is, is able to be accessed. Using the file system option in macOS seems pointless apparently if you wish to access sync on iOS.

Maybe someone can chime in to explain it better than I did or to confirm its relevancy or not.

But as far as I understand: syncing records within a database is something completely different than syncing a file (with the whole database) altogether. If device A edits note X and device B edits note Y, syncing has to be done per record. Transporting the database of A to B and vice versa causes data-loss in this scenario.

I tend to see the same discussion with password managers and many arguments: let password managers do passwords rigth and let syncing apps do syncing rigth. Works like a 'charm' untill you simultaneously edit at 2 devices, before syncing between every edit.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.