Synchronize Joplin using local directory on iPhone

Is there a way to configure Joplin on iPhone to sync to a local directory rather than a cloud service like DropBox or OneDrive?

Context:
I have Joplin installed on a few computers and and my iPhone and am syncing notes across devices using Syncthing (peer-to-peer service). On the iPhone, I use the Mobius Sync app to sync, and it does pull files correctly from my Desktop. However, in the Joplin app on the phone, the configuration only lets me select several cloud-based servers, rather than asking Joplin to look locally.

I know on Android people have been able to use Joplin with Syncthing by specifying a local directory. Does such a capability exist also in the iPhone app?

Thanks!

In short: No.

TL;DR

iOS doesn't allow to write to the "local" file system. The "local" area is just a sub-area of the app and isn't accessible by other apps.
There are certain APIs available to use a "virtual filesystem" but those are not exposed and available to react-native.

2 Likes

Thank you tessus for the quick reply.
That's a strange design choice by Apple. Probably the only decent alternative is to have desktop Joplin export HTML or Md in the Syncthing folder and then open the exports on the phone with some other editor or app.

Not the first and it won't be the last.

I am curious though why I can use other apps to interact with my files synced through Mobius Sync onto my iPhone, but not using Joplin? For instance, I sync a KeePass kdbx file onto my iPhone with Mobius Sync, and then I use KeePassium to access that file. I can even access the Joplin notes synced from my Desktop to my iPhone using a text editor app like Pretext.

I am curious why Joplin could not do something similar. See images below for how it works with Pretext.

2 Likes

I don't know anything about iPhone dev, but my understanding was that it's a limitation of react native (which Joplin is built on).

I think in theory it would be possible for someone to make a third party native Joplin app for iOS. Unsurprisingly, there have been no volunteers.

1 Like

As I mentioned before: There are certain APIs available to use a "virtual filesystem" but those are not exposed and available to react-native.

Thanks all for the responses.
For anyone with a similar interest/desire: a read-only workaround is to do regular exports of your notebooks as HTML directory in the Syncthing directory. Then at least you can read the notes on the phone and notebook structure is reflected in the directory structure.

Any recommended solutions on how to automate exporting? I would love to be able to program “export notebooks daily at 10 PM to this folder”

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.