How can I choose which Onedrive account to auth on win10?

Joplin version: 0. 216(prod, win32)

As shown in the title. I’ve got a OneDrive personal and a OneDrive for Business account on my laptop. The problem is to select which account I use when configuring for the onedrive sync in Joplin.

As so far I’ve tried out, Joplin definitely cannot coop with OneDrive for Business, the sync button would be frozen and completely fail to sync (I can’t see the file created on my onedrive), so I turn to my persona account, and the sync works fine in ios and android platform. However, I’ve tried several time to install and reinstall Joplin, cannot find to way to indicate which Onedrive I want to use when configuring for the sync.

Additional information: When I found that indicating which account is not possible, I tried to use sync with file system, and directly to the onedrive path. This approach seems to have problems: I can successfully sync my first notebook imported from evernote, But other notebooks are not synced. The sync status between ios and android are fine (I mean they are coherent). But PC is not, shown in below

The file system path I indicated:

Apparently some notebook are not visible for IOS device, the weird thing is that the notebook visible for IOS is also sync from win10 with the same approach.

So the additional information is to inform you about this bug, it would be great if you can explain me the mechanism why it happens, my request is to find a way to indicate my onedrive account

I hope I can get supported, thx

How can I choose which Onedrive account to auth on win10?

OneDrive For Buisness is currently not supported. Joplin always assumes that your account is an OneDrive Personal account. When you login to OneDrive for Buisness it leads to the problems you have described.

However, I’ve tried several time to install and reinstall Joplin, cannot find to way to indicate which Onedrive I want to use when configuring for the sync.

I didn't try but I think that your configuration files (including your OneDrive credentials) are not automatically deleted when you uninstall joplin. So I guess when you first logged in with OneDrive for Buisness, Joplin will use this account in future - even when you reinstalled Joplin. As far as I can see there is unfortunately currently no way to logout from an onedrive account and choose another account from the GUI. If I were you, I would simply delete the directory C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\.config\joplin-deskop where all your configuration files are stored (if you have important files in Joplin, make a backup first). On the next start of Joplin you then need again to select OneDrive as Synchronization target. When you then click the first time on the Synchronize Button you should be able to log in to your OneDrive (Personal) account.

Be aware that Joplin has currently a limitation and doesn't synch attachments greater than 4 MB with OneDrive (However I am currently working on a Pull Request which will hopefully solve that problem in future)

Thank you for your reply, I’ve just solve the problem.
In fact the logout problem could be solved easily, I just tried to find the Microsoft login page, and switch the account there(which would automatically login), then when I reinstall the Joplin and configure it, it worked fine.

However, OneDrive request length limit is very vexing, so I switched to the Jianguoyun(mainland China cloud service), this one preforms better, but request frequency limit also makes sync hard. I’m pretty impressed by the compact and convenience of Joplin, you’ve done a great job, I’m just curious whether there is a plan to improve the Joplin Sync functionality ?

Sorry for not answering before.

However, OneDrive request length limit is very vexing, so I switched to the Jianguoyun(mainland China cloud service) [..]. I’m just curious whether there is a plan to improve the Joplin Sync functionality ?

The OneDrive 4 MB limit has been resolved now in the newest Pre-Release Versions. So you basically can sync files without any file limit with OneDrive and Joplin Desktop now.

1 Like

I just managed to put myself in a position where I have this problem. I use Joplin Portable. I got a new cell phone and for some reason I was not able to setup encryption on it, it said it synced and then decrypted but all I was left with was a bunch of notes all listed as encrypted. In the past I also managed to get 2 encryption keys so I decided to nuke it and start over. I deleted the JoplinProfile folder on all my PCs and removed Joplin from my phones. I then deleted the Joplin folder in my personal OneDrive under the APPS folder. I then restarted Joplin and reimported my notes. Important step, wise to do for ANY reason, export your notes once in a while. I export and then use 7ZIP to put them in an encrypted 7Z file on my cloud drive.

I was having problems with this and figured it out. I wanted to respond to this post so other's perhaps could see it.

I closed the OneDrive for business sync app (not sure if strictly necessary). I then logged into www.onedrive.com with my PERSONAL account. I then setup the sync to OneDrive in Joplin and this time when I used the SYNCHRONIZE button in Joplin it brought me up the typical prompt to go to OneDrive and authenticate the app. This time BOTH my accounts showed up and I choose the personal OneDrive and it authenticated. I verified this by going to my Personal OneDrive online page and verifying that under APPS was a new Joplin folder. So I aim to setup my apps and sync, then tackle the encryption again. This time with only ONE key.