Hotkeys for repetitive things?

I understand the reasoning behind having the markdown and not WYSIWYG in the editor, but some extra buttons would be nice, so we don’t have to type 7 strokes to get one result. Like, I want to mark items done in a list, and it would be great to be able to hit a button for either strikethrough, highlight, or check mark. It’s tedious to have to type four tildes just to get a strikethrough. Those hot keys (just like Bold, italic, etc) can still show up in all their coded glory in that markdown pane, but it would be a real time saver to be able to do those things more quickly.
So i guess the question is: did i miss something, or is there a faster way, a plugin or something, to do these things? (As well as in a previous post, a way to change the background a text colors, since i have a vision issue).
Thanks for any insight!

Unfortunately there aren’t any hotkeys for those things for a few different reasons.

• For the checkbox it is probably pretty challenging to handle, plus you can already just click the checkbox to toggle which makes the keyboard shortcut less valuable.
  • strikethrough was missed and should probably be given a button and hotkey (you can create a feature request for this on github and link back to this discussion if you do). Side note: AFAIK checked checkboxes already do a strikethrough, would this be sufficient for your workflow?
  • highlight is a plugin and as such probably won’t see first class support in Joplin

Also an option is to use the external editor feature of Joplin, unfortunately Joplin does not excel in this department but there are a number of good dedicated markdown editors (marktext, typora, etc.) that can be utilized using the external edit feature that support a nicer editing experience plus I think both of them support more themes than Joplin currently does.

In regards to the vision issues, what specifically could be done to make it easier for you? Larger text, higher contrast colours? While it’s not trivial to add a new theme, it’s also not that difficult and if you’d like I can create a new theme for the vision impaired. The only catch is that since I’m not hard of vision myself, I’d need a lot of help from you to ensure that it is readable.

2 Likes

They don't do a strikethrough, but they are greyed out. However, I remember you provided the CSS for strikethrough a while back:

<style>
.md-checkbox input[type="checkbox"]:checked+label{
   text-decoration:line-through;
   color:#ababab;
}
</style>

@KelliJaeBaeli you can provide your own css via a file. for more information , please see the topic on userstyle.css -> Joplin

2 Likes

thanks for your response, I’ll give all that some thought. I’m not sure how to incorporate the CSS. nor if that means i’d have to put that in there each time i write a note…all that is still a little unclear.
As for the vision issues, mostly, i just need to get rid of any stark white screens. I often use dark teal and light teal for backgrounds and text, as those seem to be comfortable. I am constantly amazed at how starkly white Windows and apps are. It’s the reason why i now have vision issues. Years of looking at that in my work.
There are times when i can’t use dark themes or change things, because i work sometimes with graphic design, and that prevents me from seeing things accurately, so it’s a vicious cycle. But if i could at least gray the backgrounds, it would help.

i guess i don’t understand the reasoning of having a TO-DO list option, but no way to mark things off a to-do list, and also why we would have to go to outside editor to do something that i feel the program should do in the first place.
I gave up on Tiddly wiki because everyone who tried to help gave so much geek-speak, i didn’t understand what they were saying. Everything got so convoluted and complicated that i was spending way too much time just trying to get things working, at the expense of the other things that were screaming for my time. I didn’t have time for a huge learning curve, I’m simply too busy and I already have had to learn about 50 other programs in my work over the years. I guess i just like things that are intuitive and user-friendly. Joplin IS THAT, for the most part. Just coming across a few things as i go, that I’d like to see.

I seriously don't get that statement. You don't consider a check mark as marked off? I'm sorry, if the following is not clear enough, I don't know what is:

Let’s wait for the new themes to become available and then we can re-evaluate if you’ll need something else for your vision.

As for the TODO issues, it seems that you might not be using markdown? Or maybe the renderer is open? You should see exactly what tessus has provided a screenshot of, and simply clicking should toggle the checkbox. Here is a markdown tutorial that hopefully will help you use Joplin better.

In regards to the “geek-speak” unfortunately you’re likely to find that here as well. Joplin is an in development application with 1 core developer, and this means there is no customer service and the app will be rough around the edges. For most of us users that’s an acceptable trade off for a powerful, free, open source note system, but it’s not for everyone.

yeah, you know what? you can dial down the snark. I didn’t understand that you could put an x in the first panel of markdown. I also didn’t come here to be mansplained or condescended to. If you don’t want to be helpful how about just say nothing?

There was no snark. I asked a serious question and the remark was also serious. Your interpretation on the other side seem to be emotionally loaded which is entirely your problem.
It is not my fault that you don't know markdown. And then you are saying there is no way to mark things off. There are 2 ways to do that. My only error was that I didn't get the fact that you don't know markdown, nor that you apparently don't know how to use the mouse to click on a checkbox.

Are you fucking kidding me? That's it for me. I hope others will be answering your questions.

Guess you really didn’t mean this when you put it in your FAQ.
Very close to just going to some other program where I can learn and get answers without being attacked and condescended to. If so, I’ll be sure to notify all my followers on social media that this is not a friendly place.

"## This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion

Please treat this discussion forum with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.

These are not hard and fast rules, merely guidelines to aid the human judgment of our community and keep this a clean and well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.

Improve the Discussion

Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.

The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.

One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Spend time browsing the topics here before replying or starting your own, and you’ll have a better chance of meeting others who share your interests.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

Your Participation Counts

The conversations we have here set the tone for every new arrival. Help us influence the future of this community by choosing to engage in discussions that make this forum an interesting place to be — and avoiding those that do not.

Discourse provides tools that enable the community to collectively identify the best (and worst) contributions: bookmarks, likes, flags, replies, edits, and so forth. Use these tools to improve your own experience, and everyone else’s, too.

Let’s leave our community better than we found it.

If You See a Problem, Flag It

Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.

When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it . If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.

Always Be Civil

Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:

• Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
  • Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
  • Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
  • Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum.

These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even the appearance of any of these things. If you’re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the New York Times.

This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.

Keep It Tidy

Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:

• Don’t start a topic in the wrong category.
  • Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
  • Don’t post no-content replies.
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.
  • Don’t sign your posts — every post has your profile information attached to it.

Rather than posting “+1” or “Agreed”, use the Like button. Rather than taking an existing topic in a radically different direction, use Reply as a Linked Topic.

Post Only Your Own Stuff

You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or methods for stealing someone’s intellectual property (software, video, audio, images), or for breaking any other law.