Home / GitHub Page

Force encryption of old notes?

I encrypted my data without error on the desktop and then synced on the phone but old notes are not encrypted. I sync to Dropbox. Besides looking on my computer, I also went to the Dropbox web interfaced and verified old not encrypted files there. Then I tried re-encrypting and that didn't fix the issue although the procedure finished without errors. Then I decrypted and re-encrypted and that didn't fix the problem either.

I have used the searched, and haven't found the answer. Maybe I don't know what to look for.

There are no errors on the desktop or the phone. I would be glad to provide any other needed information to solve this.

Fortunately, through all of this, all of my data (encrypted or not) is always readable on the desktop and the phone.

I an running: Joplin 1.2.6 (prod, linux)

I have similar issues.
I am also using Joplin 1.2.6 on an Android Phone and under windows. The android phone app was upgraded first and ran overnight re-encrypting my files. This morning I updated to 1.2.6 on Windows and allowed the it to synchronize all the files. Both processes completed without error. Both apps have an orange banner "Press to set the decryption password". However on the Android, some folders are labelled "encrypted" and the folder "Conflicts" has shown up, it contains about 100 notes. On Windows, I see no conflict entries; normal folders containing tasks exist on Windows that otherwise show as encrypted on the Android device.

I found that if I edit an unencrypted old note and save it, it remains unencrypted. If I use the duplicate feature and delete the original unencrypted note, the duplicate is encrypted.

I wonder if some version of exporting all notes (with encryption on or off?) and importing (with encryption on) would force the encryption.

I am still looking for a workaround. To clarify, in my above post I said "If I use the duplicate feature and delete the original unencrypted note, the duplicate is encrypted." what I meant was that you have to delete the md file manually.