Firefox web clipper not in Add-ons store?

Yep, they removed it again.

can someone post the XPI somewhere? I downloaded this extension at home yesterday and set it up with my nextcloud server, then today I wanted to set it up at work and I was surprised that the extension didn’t sync in my browser. Surprise surprise the Add-on was gone from the store!

It is probably a better idea if the xpi was distributed from github.

Yes and no. An unsigned xpi cannot be installed and used in Firefox, unless it's the Developer or Unbranded Edition.

ah damn…

Yep, thank those morons at Mozilla for that.

I have put a request at https://discourse.mozilla.org/c/add-ons in their “Add-on Support” to work with the Joplin Developers to get this fixed. I rely on Joplin and Firefox to gather useful information from the web and I don’t want to be forced to use Evernote in place of Joplin for this service. Joplin community, please leave a storm of polite requests at Mozilla to get this resolved.

2 Likes

@cas, thanks for this. To be clear, this time the add-on is down because they want us to upload the source code, which we did. But their upload handler is broken so they only got an empty source file, and took down the add-on because of this.

To be fair I wouldn’t mind if they were taking down the add-on because we messed up something, but we’ve been working hard to comply with Mozilla’s unusual and ever changing requirements, but they still keep removing the add-on.

1 Like

For those who can live with Chromium but not with Chrome: there are a lot of alternatives to Chrome (and Firefox, for now obvious reasons). I just installed Brave today and added the Joplin Web Clipper to it. Did one test and it works. So far for my experience.

I don’t want to start a discussion about web browsers here, but only make you aware that you can still use the web clipper without Firefox or converting to the dark side.

3 Likes

Brave and Opera both are great alternatives but I really like the overall goals and views of Brave. Great choice.

1 Like

Another excellent alternative is Vivaldi. Some of the Opera developers left after the Chinese purchase and change of direction. They created the most configurable browser using menus, but in addition they use CSS for much of the interface.

Also, they respect our privacy.

Waterfox is also a great alternative, if you want Firefox, but no telemetry or the other Mozilla BS.

So, if you are using FF Developer or Unbranded Edition, or Waterfox, here’s the current Add-on:
joplin-web-clipper-fox-1.0.23.zip (257.4 KB)

GPG signature:
joplin-web-clipper-fox-1.0.23.zip.asc (833 Bytes)

1 Like

aa

Yes, no matter the setting, in the standard Firefox Edition it is impossible to install unsigned extension.
I think I mentioned that if you are using FF Developer or Unbranded Edition, or Waterfox in my previous comment… It doesn’t say anything about the Standard Edition.

I switched to Waterfox and Brave. I can’t handle Mozilla’s stupidity anymore.

P.S.: The only reason this could have worked is when package maintainers fixed the source code.

On Ubuntu and maybe other Linux distros. This is not the case, if you download Firefox from the official web site.

You can't make such generalized statements, otherwise people think they can set xpinstall.signatures.required to false and it will allow them to side-load the extension.
This key only works in the Firefox Developer Edition or Unbranded/Nightly Edition.

1 Like

I considered changing to Waterfox, but had a play around first to see if I could manually install the extension in Firefox before I took that step.

Under these particular circumstances it worked:

I first removed the working extension from add-ons

Currently at Firefox version 73.0.1 (64-bit) (Solus Linux with Standard Firefox that comes with that distribution)

xpinstall.signatures.required set to false under about:config tab

Then using manual installation of joplin-web-clipper-fox-1.0.23.zip provided by @tessus above

Firefox displayed a caution message and asked if you wish to continue

Finally, in the list of add-ons installed it looks like below, but functions normally

Once again, you use a hacked version of Firefox. This means your distro took out the part that enforces the signed extensions.
So now take a Windows or macOS version of Firefox and try the same thing.

• Still not available as of 10/2/2020
1 Like

We don’t need additional comments that the extension is not available, otherwise we’ll have on of these every day.

We will update this topic as soon as it’s back in the store. Until then, please complain to Mozilla.

4 Likes

to we have topic in the Mozilla forum we can dump our frustration