Finding sections in tagged notes

What is the best way of trying to achieve the following please?

I tag a note because that particular note may contain a word, sentence or section which relates to the given tag. Sometimes there are several places in the same note that relate to the same tag. Obviously each notes may have one or more tags.

I would like to be able to open a note because of its tag, and then be able to go directly to the places in that document that caused me tag it to start with.

Some of my notes are 20 pages in length and it can take a long time to identify what part of the note made me put the tag on.

I am aware of ==mark== but this still means scrolling through the entire document to find the marked section and doesn't work as well if there is more than one tag.

Am I missing something obvious with the existing functionality? I suppose I'd like some sort of link or association between the tag and content on a one-to-many basis?

Maybe you don't need (Joplin) tags for this at all.
What if instead you put your own "tags" in relevant places, like #this or @this or in some other way.
Then you can use full-text search to find your "tags"

Thank for the thoughts, it is certainly something to consider if there are no other solutions.

I should have said, that the notes are legal documents, and if I insert my own "tags" into the document then I'm altering the document itself, which isn't ideal to be honest.

I also like the external tags because I can also instantly see how many documents are in my library that have references to the tag I'm after.

I don't know of a solution that would be better than what @roman_r_m already said. But I will add that you can wrap the tag in an html comment so it won't appear in the final render. I use this to add notes for myself that I don't want to be visible when shared.

I think the best process would be to write out your tags (as suggested) and then hit Ctrl-/ to add the comment (which hides the tags).
You can then add the tag to the note as well if you want to keep that functionality.

This is what it will look like on the markdown side.

<!-- @tag @other-tag-->

Thanks for your thoughts also. I've just tried this, and I like the fact that the tag would be hidden, and a search will return the note, but there are two problems with this approach -

Once a search returns notes with the matching tag there is no way of knowing exactly where in the document the tag is without looking at the source.

Secondly and more importantly there is no way of knowing whether there is only one reference or multiple references of tagged sections in a single document.

I'd also have to remember all the tag names that were embedded in the notes, which is not ideal.

To be honest, I'm surprised that others don't need this facility.

I'm thinking out loud here, but is there any way that some functionality could be added so that clicking on a tag in the bar at the bottom will go to a hidden link as described?

Repeated clicks will take you to the next instance of that tag within the document?

Any chance of someone creating a plugin for this please?

Listen for click event on tag (in bottom toolbar) and scroll pane to selected position in note where there would be a hidden anchor (or similar) matching the tag? Repeated clicks would find/scroll to the next match?

If I was capable of writing this plugin I would do it myself. I can't imagine it would take much?

1 Like

Hi Dave, I am thinking out loud too. Please don't stone me since I am not a Joplin or plugin expert either, and I am crossing a line here:
It seems that this important for you, it sounds that the plugin API would be able to do what you are looking for and that the API is well documented. Now ... (bear with me) ...
I do frequently receive offers from India, from IT guys (sometimes experts, admitted sometimes not) who offer their work for little programming jobs. The hourly rates are often under 15$ an hour. Could it be, that for a very small amount you could at least get a fair evaluation of what developing a plug-in might entail ?
The most expensive part - testing and validation - you could do yourself, at least to some degree. This might help keeping overall cost low. All of this of course does only make sense if this dev project is really important to you.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and the suggestions that you've made.

Obviously I would find my own workflow enhanced with a such a feature. I have looked at the plugin docs and to be honest they go over my head. I have experience in coding, but unfortunately don't have the time at the moment to learn a new environment.

I have considered your suggestion of paying someone to provide the required plugin and would not be adverse to doing so.

On this basis, here is my proposal ( I hope that it is acceptable to post this here @laurent ?).

If one of the very many talented coders that use and contribute to Joplin write the plugin that I would like to see, then I would make (an agreed) donation to Joplin and would also agree that the plugin was also publicly released for others to benefit as well. Any takers?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.