Home / GitHub Page

Desktop app: Opening/editing multiple notes

Using Evernote App I can open multiple notes to compare or copy things between notes. I really miss this feature. Is there already a way to do that? What do you think about it? Can we ask for this feature in Github?

It’s unlikely that notes side by side will be supported (maybe tabs at some point but not all opened at the same time). A possible alternative, depending on your workflow, is to open some notes in an external editors, and keep the one you want to change open in Joplin, then you can copy text more easily.

A planned feature is to allow opening multiple notes in an external editor, so maybe that would support your particular use case.

3 Likes

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for your answer. Good idea to open notes in an external editor but you don’t see images or pdf saved within the note. In my particular use case, I’m used to save images like print screens or other pdf files and open several notes simultaneously to compare and analyse notes regarding same issues. You think this feature will not be added because of technical issues or because I’m the only one who think that this useful?

I thinks tabs would make for a wonderful feature, perhaps I can best argue in the form of a use case:

Throughout the week I aggregate notes in a notebook folder journal - in a discussion an important breakthrough sand castle design comes up, and structural issues wrt sand castles are spoken off.
Once a week I go through my notes a redact them towards a proper context - where I keep track of sand castle design references. Being able to have multiple allows for easy redaction, since going back and forth between notebooks is quite a bit of navigational overhead

1 Like

Tabs would be a HUGE improvement. I keep project notes, daily work journals, and technical article snippets in Joplin and constantly need to switch back and forth between them. Opening them in an external interface is possible, but cumbersome. Switching between tabs would be much faster and I could still see attached images and files. +1 for tabs.

3 Likes

I’d be happy to chip in to sponsor this feature, if its necessity is agreed upon.
Is sponsoring a feature an idea that is welcomed?
There’s a potential concern of audience engagement vs hijacking priorities

1 Like