Create note from highlighted text

Thanks, 1.4.5 works great.

Yes, have been using Evernote daily for many years, so I am quite familiar with it.

oh :slight_smile: I was using simple notepad on my phone.
I think i had free account on evernote but didn't use it.
Anyway, Joplin is best.

@ambrt , would you consider changing the plugin's icon? The current "star" is misleading as it's (almost universally) used an icon for Favourites.

I often smack myself in the forehead after absent-mindedly selecting the star icon and being reminded that instead of "favouriting" a note, I've inadvertently tried to make a new one.

3 Likes

Agreed.

Perhaps a hand and finger pointing to the right, complementing the icon for backlinks, since this plugin does kind of go in the other direction from what backlinks plugin does.

2 Likes

Oh, true :slight_smile:

There's a little bit limited choice - icons are provided by Joplin itself from this site Font Awesome

I'm worried that right hand pointing (as suggested by @jb261 ) together with left hand might be confusing.
How about this one:
file-alt

I'm opened to any suggestion

What about the clone icon? There is software I use that has this icon for similar functionality

1 Like

This clone icon makes sense.
@heviiguy @jb261 what do you think?

How about this one: Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 12.22.15 ?
I think that it effectively conveys an action leading to a result

With regards to the other two suggestions:

• we're not really "cloning" anything as the repeated square suggests
  • the initial note icon is probably too similar to Joplin's "create new note" icon
6 Likes

I'm fully on board with @heviiguy's points here.

The clone icon is very frequently used to represent copying - that would be even more confusing for this plugin than the current icon.

Of the various icons, suggested, I like the right arrow into a new page.

3 Likes

Agreed!

1 Like

I agree too.

It will be in next update.

2 Likes

New version with updated icon is uploaded :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks a great deal for this plugin - I've been waiting for this feature since I started using Joplin about a year ago.

A few issues I'm experiencing (Joplin 1.7.11):

1. I always get at least one occurence of the note title at the top of the note. With the (default) plugin setting that is supposed to cause this, I get two occurences.
  2. Pressing Esc when the dialog box is showing doesn't cancel the operation - I have to use the mouse
  3. Pressing Enter when the dialog box is showing doesn't count as clicking "ok" - it actually replaces the highlighted text in the note with newline

New icon is good, btw.

1 Like

I think that this is happening:
1.You highlight some text
2.Pop up asks you for title with that text prepopulated
3.You press enter (or click Ok)

In this case, text you highlighted is actually both the title and a body of the note and as such it is on top of a newly created note (with plugin setting ticked on).

There is quick fix for this in new version.

Thanks for the dialog box fixes :slight_smile:

Couple more issues (with updated version, and possibly earlier but I didn't test):

1. If I don't have any text selected, i.e. I want to start a new blank note linked from here, I can the toolbar button works but the keyboard shortcut doesn'tt.
  2. Can't undo the plugin's action
1 Like

Ok new version should have that fixed.
The thing is that it will still insert link to new note into active note's body.
Is this behavior you're looking for?

Do you mean undo of creation new note?
If so, i don't think its possible now via plugin.
When new note is created it has to be deleted manually.

Yes, that's right - if I just wanted a new note without a link at my current cursor location, I could just use ctrl+n.

Ideally, yes, but also everything else - creation of the link to it, deletion of any text that was highlighted (and therefore copied into the new note).

1 Like

Hi

This looks very useful. Good work. It looks like a clever alternative to highlighting text. It builds a separate library of highlights which I think is a more useful approach - a bit like the way that your typical ereader makes a new separate file of highlighted text, a feature I also find very useful.

My use case is that I mostly read notes I have added and then select useful content to include or summarise in later writeups (i.e. essays, blog posts etc.). A drawback to standard colour highlighting of text is that one still has to go back through the post to manually select and copy the highlighted passages. If asked to choose I can live without an actual coloured highlight if I can extract the text jsut as your plugin does.

However, I would like to make a suggestion, hopefully an improvement. After I have done several such extracts from different notes it is difficult at a glance to see which note the extracts have come from without opening them. Would it be possible to create a new subnotebook for extracts using the post title as a label (but also user editable) and putting all subsequent extracts from the same post into the same subnotebook?

For my use case that would probably greatly improve the organisation of extracts from multiple notes and make them more retrievable.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the great plugin. I have a feature request. Could there be an autodetect to make a new note a todo if the first line starts with - [ ]?
I (and from reading the thread, I know others do, too) use this a lot to organize my daily tasks using checklists. Often a task deserves its own note/todo and changing from note todo is a little disrupting in the workflow. I know about setting the default as todo (which is great) but there are other reasons I don't want to always enable that. Maybe it's not too big of an issue. :slight_smile:

Does the "Don't insert title at the top of body (first line of text)" checkbox under Options -> Convert to New Note work?

I have checked it, but the title is always also prepended to note body.