Convert lines of text to list -> Only first line is affected

I have a note with several lines of text. I select the lines and do Bulleted List.

Expected -> Each line receives a bullet
Result -> First line receives a bullet

Same result with numbered lists. Typora has the same effect.

I am trying to migrate from OneNote and I am new to using markup, so perhaps this is working as intended? Is there a way to listify my text?

Joplin 1.0.179 - Linux

First of all. Welcome. This is what my screen shows above your post and is so cool. :relaxed:

Secondly, to answer your question, I'm almost certain you'll have to do it for each of them in app, but i do have a hacky way to do it since you're on Linux. You should have vim installed on your system. These steps should work.

1. Install vim if not already available.
  2. Open a terminal
  3. cd /joplin/download/directory
  4. EDITOR='/usr/bin/vim' ./Joplin*.AppImage
  5. Look for what looks like a box with an arrow pointing up and right on your toolbar in Joplin. This should force Joplin to open a Vim terminal instance that can be used to edit your note.
  6. Make your way to the beginning of the second item on your list with your keyboard keys.
  7. Hit Ctrl+V to go into Visual Block Mode.
  8. Use your keyboard to move the cursor to the beginning of the last item.
  9. IMPORTANT STEP: Hit Shift+i to go into Insert Mode.
  10. Type - (single hyphen) and then Escape. Your list items should each have a hyphen with a space in front of them.
  11. Type :wqa to exit Vim and save your note to Joplin with every item formatted properly in a list format.

This work as intended, but maybe there’s something we can do. @CalebJohn did a similar change, where depending on new line characters the code button works differently.

So if several lines are selected the action could indeed add a - to the beginning of every line.

I’m pretty sure Laurent would accept a PR for something like that.

2 Likes

This is far too complex to be a viable solution for me, but I really appreciate you offering a suggestion - thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You're quite welcome. Like @tessus said, there may be a better way that the devs can work up in app, but I really wanted to showcase something I figured out recently that has been super useful to me. :smiley:

1 Like

This seems a feature request, going to open one instead

1 Like

Seems that this issue has been about a while. This is one that was closed by the “stalebot”

I’ve re-opened it and marked it as good first issue. Let’s see if somebody picks it up.

3 Likes