Clip complete page invalid report

Operating system

• Win 10 pro 1909

Application

• Desktop
  • Joplin 1.0.179

Browser

• vivaldi snapshot 2.11.1811.3
  • firefox nightly 74.0a1 (2020-02-08) (64-bit)

Proxy software

[UX logic]
I noticed that Joplin has a very serious business logic problem. When users create a clip page, they need to wait until the note processing is completed before creating a note in the notebook.

[Web clipper improvements]
Should the user create a note of the entry in the notebook after the user clicks the clip page button of the Web clipper, with a name and website link, and then continue processing the page?
In this case, even if the processing is not successful, the user can reopen the webpage and try again according to the note name and link.

[Question]
When I organize my notes, I find that some clip complete pages are not added to the notebook properly.
Then I tested it once and found that it is indeed the case. There is a certain probability that the webpage is not added to the notebook normally.

[Background]
I use a proxy to surf the Internet, and then I prefer the clip complete page, but now I find that some pages are not added to the notebook.
Due to the long time, I don’t know the webpage I want to save before, which means that I have lost the webpage I want to save and I can’t retrieve the webpage I opened before.

[logs]
log.txt (1.8 MB) log-clipper.txt (437.9 KB) log-database.txt (141.8 KB) log-autoupdater.txt (25.8 KB)

https://10101.io/2019/10/27/internet-provider

This page cannot be clip complete page
This is a Chinese web page, I hope to test whether this web page can be clip complete page

Could you create an issue on GitHub please with a link to the page you can’t clip? Some Chinese pages I imagine are hard to get working due to funky JS all over the place but I’ll give it a try.

I hope that @laurent Laurent can improve the processing logic of the web clipper first. When the user clicks on the clip complete page, first create a note with a name and a link in the notebook, that is, a blank note with the page name, and note properties have a web link. If the clip page does not work, it will allow the user to see and select the clip simple page when organizing.

Because there is no clear indication of whether the web clip works successfully, if you can leave a little clue to the user, such as the clip page is not successful, but a note of the website name (if the user did not change the name) is created, so that you can re-start according to the link clip page or screenshot

You mean when there’s a clipping error, it should create a blank note with just a link to the source page?

It is not necessarily a clipping error, it can be an optimization of the clipping logic.

The current clipping is to create a note in the notebook after processing the web page.
If a new note of this name is created after the user clicks the clip page button, it will give the user immediate feedback and improve the user experience.

In essence, there is a front-to-back relationship problem. If you adjust the processing logic of clipping, users can see immediate feedback (if the user has two screens, one screen is the browser, and one screen is the joplin desktop, like me) will improve
User experience, which I remember when reading books on UX and user experience design in the library.

And the change of this processing logic is not big, but very subtle.
If the user is not displaying the browser and the Joplin desktop side by side, they may not notice it.
However, for some unexpected situations, this way of creating a blank note first seems very important, because the blank note lets users know that this note does not have a normal clip page, and the user can reopen the web page according to the web page link of note properties and select clip simple page
If Joplin does not do this, unless I notice it, I may not know that Joplin has failed to clip certain webpages in future collations, so I missed this clipping and did not know at all.

There are many ways to cut and hide error prompts. I did a brainstorm and sorted out feasible solutions.

1. The browser’s joplin web clipper extension pop-up window prompts a processing error and cannot properly hide the webpage, prompting the user that the webpage has not been added to the notebook properly.
    However, the process of clipping takes time. It is possible that the user has closed the webpage during this time. Then, the user may need to retrieve the webpage in the history again and try another method of clipping.
    I described this process. Obviously, this will bring some unnecessary trouble to the user, such as the delayed notification of error prompts, and the situation that the user has closed the webpage.

2. When the user clicks the confrim button, the Joplin client creates a blank note of that name in the corresponding notebook (recommended), but there is information about the name and web link. Of course, Joplin can also use a italic text in the text (not the text,
    It is similar to the background text prompt in the editor.) It tells the user that the clipping is unsuccessful, and a link to the web page is provided under the prompt text, so that the user can click back to return to the web page that has not been cut normally.

I suggest to consider the second option, I made a simple illustration to help explain my idea