Checking box parent should check all children boxes

Using checkboxes, i use often parent and child boxes to structure tasks in parts.

AFAIK it is not possible to check the parent box and as an action all child boxes will be checked automatically.
Keep from Google has this and it's very convenient.

Is it possible to implent this or is there somewhere a hidden function to do this?

3 Likes

There's no functionality like that now. I also agree that it would be quite useful though :slightly_smiling_face:, especially when dealing with long lists.

It's a reasonable idea but I disagree that it should be implemented since this only works for tasks where every subtask is a requirement for completing the full task, if you have any optional tasks, this would force you to, possibly imcorrectly, mark them as complete... The system currently is admittedly more fiddly but much more flexible which is more important imo...

1 Like

Just for the record, I've managed to achieve this with the following custom CSS (placed in userstyle.css).

.checked .joplin-checklist > li:not(.checked)::before {
	content: "\f14a"
}
4 Likes

Hi Thomasz
i tried your code and went happy instantly. Would love this function SOOOO much.
But with me its like this:
If all child items are unchecked i can toggle all of them between checked/uncheck with clicking parent.
But when a child is manualy checked before, it becomes NOT unchecked with clicking parent.

Is there a solution for unchecking all?
I have some checklist for rountines. And after checking all of them i wanna have them unchecked next time for later use.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks a lot
UPDATE:
This htmls code would do what i like. But Joplin doesnot use it. Can i implement it somehow?

<input type="checkbox" />a
<input type="checkbox" />b
<input type="checkbox" />c
<input type="checkbox" />d
<input type="reset" />

I know what you mean. I've experienced the same problem before. However, I don't think this can be worked around with pure CSS :confused:.

Do you think any other way (Like html oder JS) is possible?
I would appreciate ANY solution.
It is so boring to uncheck every task.
I dont need to check all, only uncheck.
Tried a lot with your code to get it opposite working.

JS would be able to achieve this, of course, but CSS is all we're allowed to inject into Joplin :wink:. I've also tested multiple variations with CSS but neither worked, unfortunately.

Thank you VERY much for your time. I googled a lot to learn HOW to implement JS or the very easy HTML Code above.
No I can save time searching that. So i think i have to change my checklists to a real html site.
good karma and a nice 2023 for you