Can't run Joplin in linux

I downloaded the Joplin appimage file to ubuntu linux and changed permission to executable but it doesn’t open. Is it a 64 bit or 32 bit?

It should be both. Is there any error message?

What version of Ubuntu are you using?

I’ve got a 32 bit xubuntu machine and a 64 bit Elementary OS machine. I’ve made the appimage executable by right-clicking on the file and checking “make executable” and using the command chmod 775. I get the following error messages on either machine:

rich@rich-TOSHIBA-NB205:~/Downloads$ ./Joplin-1.0.103-x86_64.AppImage
bash: ./Joplin-1.0.103-x86_64.AppImage: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

rich@rich-TOSHIBA-NB205:~/Downloads$ Joplin-1.0.103-x86_64.AppImage
Joplin-1.0.103-x86_64.AppImage: command not found

What am I doing wrong?

if you enter

uname -a 

displays ?

Try changing the permissions via nautilus, right click, properties, permissions tick the box then right click it and run in Nautilus to launch the app. See if that works?

on the 32 bit linux machine:

Linux rich-TOSHIBA-NB205 4.4.0-128-generic #154-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 25 14:14:58 UTC 2018 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

on the 64 bit machine:

Linux rich-ThinkPad-W500 4.13.0-45-generic #50~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 30 11:18:27 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

“Try changing the permissions via nautilus, right click, properties, permissions tick the box then right click it and run in Nautilus to launch the app. See if that works?”

I’ve done this exactly. I’ve also used “chmod -x”. When I click on the app, I get a menu that asks whether to execute it or run it in a terminal. Neither way works. I get the error messages above if I run it in a terminal.

What versions of linux have others succeeded in running Joplin?

I’ve been using it in Ubuntu 18.04 for a few weeks with no problems.

“I’ve been using it in Ubuntu 18.04 for a few weeks with no problems.”

That’s 64 bit linux. I have 32 bit version

finally got Joplin running in 64 bit Mint Linux. Apparently Joplin is a 64 bit app. This should be in the documentation.

I like Joplin and have replaced Evernote with it on all my devices. When Evernote restricted it’s use to only 2 devices, I switched to Joplin and have not regretted it. I only wish it had a 32 bit Linux version.

1 Like

Hello everybody? Anybody tried it on Linux Mint 19.1 Mate? I got it installed (64 bits) by changing permissions but when I launch it, it seems extremely simplistic : it works as a simple text editor. No image pasting, no formatting, no right-clicking...I can only write text... :frowning:

a snapshot to see how it looks like ?

Hey Fox! :slight_smile: Thanks for answering! I uninstalled it to try tusk which seems to work fine and then I saw your message. I went ahead and reinstalled it and now it works! (?) I don't understand what had gone wrong...Anyway, I'll try both apps to see what suits me better. Warmest greetings! :slight_smile:

The idea of Tusk is good but the UI they “clone” from the original web service, is aweful for me, this is why I left Evernote. I think that with Tusk , that could be the opportunity to show Evernote what a real and good editor should look like.

1 Like