Desktop version info

Joplin 2.13.11 (prod, linux)

Client ID: cc1a31e689ee4938a17853df5d34b44a
Sync Version: 3
Profile Version: 44
Keychain Supported: No

Note encryption: 1.1.1

What issue do you have?

I can not print from the desktop version?

@bengtfalke welcome to the forum.

This has been going on for some time. Is it a network printer you are printing to?

For me (Debian 12.4 KDE 5.27.5) when trying to print Joplin either crashes immediately or prints and then crashes. This issue has appeared on Joplin's GitHub issues and here is a link.

It seems that this is an ongoing problem with Electron, the framework used to create Joplin. Some times printing does work but then the Electron version is updated and it is broken again. A fix is therefore required by the Electron maintainers and as this has been a problem, on and off, for about several years they do not appear to be in any sort of rush to fix it.

Luckily I rarely need to print but if I do I have to export to PDF and then print that. Not ideal. I have no idea if it is even possible for the Joplin devs to try to implement any other kind of printing method.

So, sorry, no solution but this is just to let you know that it is a known "upstream" problem.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply... that explains it!

I'd imagine that Joplin could potentially use the XDG Desktop Portals print functionality by calling it directly over DBus, which would be a way of avoiding the Electron implementation. But it's a lot of extra effort for something that Electron should do automatically.

Having seen the amount of issues Electron has with printing, on the Snap I've intentionally just left the printing sandboxing broken because it's better to get the failure message than a full on crash. It's less than ideal but the export followed by a print via another tool is still viable and I can't imagine many people are printing from Joplin on a regular basis.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply.. I understand a bit better now.

I wouldn't say "no solution", because I have not experienced any problem with printing (macos) to a local printer (via USB) in all those years. Another option (if you don't print too often) print the note as PDF, then use your PDF reader to send it to the network printer.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.