Automatic backlinks (with manual insert option)

I definitely moved panels around, but I honestly can't remember if I resized them. If I had to guess, I'd say I probably resized your panel, but possibly not the Outline panel. My Outline panel is fairly narrow, so if it defaults fairly wide, I would have resized that one too.

I have the Outline panel vertical, and your panel horizontal.

Hi !
Thank you for this very useful work. I might have two suggestions to further improve the contextualization of backlinks:

1. Currently, the sidebar only shows the file name. It could be interesting to have more context at first glance. For that, we could imagine displaying the headline of the subpart in which the reference is located.
  2. In the same way, one could imagine to display the "tags" of the note.
    In a Zettlekasten-like approach this would be very practical.
    What would you say?

Collecting Important Research Data (i.e. playing Pokemon Clover), I noticed the backlinks pane never scrolls. Would it be possible to add a scrollbar if there are more items in the list?
(If inspiration is needed, the Outline plugin already does that.)

Hi @ambrt

Thanks for this marvellous plugin !
Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that backlinks are not detected if they are in a table? Have you noticed the same behavior ?

Is there a way to make the automatic "Backlinks" appear in a [toc]?

I'd like to report that Ctrl+Alt+T is used for tagging function. It shows at menu Note/Tags. Wonder if you may pick another shortcut? I'll report on Github as well. Best regards,

1 Like

You can change the shortcuts in Tools > Options > Keyboard shortcuts

I've noticed there is an error each time I open Joplin associated with this. Not a big deal, just thought I'd let you know in case it is causing other issues. Joplin 2.2.1 (prod, darwin)

/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/app.js:213 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: In reducer: Cannot read property 'key' of null Action: {"type":"MAIN_LAYOUT_SET_ITEM_PROP","itemKey":"plugin-view-joplin.plugin.ambrt.backlinksToNote-backlinksPanel","propName":"visible","propValue":true}
    at /Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/app.js:213
    at Object.iterateItems [as default] (/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/gui/ResizableLayout/utils/iterateItems.js:6)
    at /Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/app.js:212
    at Immer.produce (/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/immer/dist/immer.cjs.development.js:748)
    at reducer (/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/app.js:211)
    at dispatch (/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/node_modules/redux/lib/createStore.js:178)
    at Application.<anonymous> (/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/BaseApplication.js:453)
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at /Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/BaseApplication.js:8
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
1 Like

Hi there!

I recently upgraded Joplin to 2.2.7 (Win) and this plugin (version 2.0.10) is not working: I do not see the icon nor the menu options.

Thanks for your help!

6 Likes

Automatic backlinks do not work.
After updating Joplin to prerelease 2.2.2 this plug-in stopped working. I assume this is because it uses deprecated API. Important: plugins that use deprecated APIs will no longer work.
Please, confirm it. There is not any error but not adding any backlink or as mentioned before there is not any icon nor menu option for manual insertion.
If the answer is yes, Is it necessary to open a bug to track it? Or, has this issue already been detected for upgrading? Thanks

4 Likes

It looks as though there is a pull request for a fix, however the maintainer has not merged yet, which is somewhat understandable if this is all done on free time.

Hopefully we will get a confirmation/fix soon.

The maintainer could be on vacation. The change looks good and can be merged as is. I guess we'll have to wait. Until then, somebody could create a new jpl which includes the PR.

3 Likes

Exactly. It's one of the few downsides of open source communities! We can end up relying on someone's free time and they often are pressured by folks who (unintentionally) feel entitled to quick turn arounds involving that free time. I will be manually linking as a workaround.

1 Like

I kinda really miss this. Anybody here know how to build it quickly, or even better, willing to drop the resulting file here?
I don't see any build instructions in the readme and don't know if the one who sent the PR is on the forum.

joplin.plugin.ambrt.backlinksToNote.jpl (18 KB)

Build from the latest version with the patch from this PR applied on top.

I only did minimal testing but it seems to work.

5 Likes

@roman_r_m, right is working well. Thank you this is a very useful plugin, at least I use a lot. thanks again.

Thanks, @roman_r_m :heart_eyes:
Works like something that works exactly as expected. :grin:

Thank you... it works perfectly!

I know this could sounds abusive, but could you look into this other plugin, Please? It's from the same developer...

Thanks a lot again!

Thanks a lot for that! I was really missing this plugin. Thank you for stepping in and making it available again.

I just checked the PR and it's not a great fix. I would not merge it like this.

P.S.: I might have a bit time tomorrow to create another PR and provide a JPL. No promises though.