Automatic backlinks (with manual insert option)

Hi

I do have solution in mind.
Will implement it today.

No, it's not, which I've been saying all along.... :wink: Therefore, thank you very much for not hardcoding an H? anymore.

2 Likes

I suppose you could override MarkdownIt TOC function in your plugin and have it skip backlinks. Not sure if worth the effort though.

1 Like

I've set the proper option and cleared the cache and temp directories. The panel along with the redundant (annoying?) message "Change notes back and forth if you see this" hasn't disappeared.

Ah ha! After doing a manual update, the panel has now properly disappeared! Thanks, @ambrt :+1:

Actually... the panel is still there. I've now tried to squeeze it away in effort to reduce its size as much as possible. However, the commentary has thankfully vanished.

It would be helpful if an option exists to completely eradicate the panel for those of us who don't require it. An "on command" pop-up would be ideal - as it would for other plug-ins which likewise consume valuable screen space.

Ok,just published version (2.0.8) has this function.

To toggle note on/off in ignore list,
open note and click menu:
Tools->Backlinks Ignore->Toggle note...
or Ctrl+Alt+T

To view whole ingnore list , menu:
Tools->Backlinks Ignore->View Backlinks ignore list
or Ctrl+Alt+L

1 Like

Yes i'm aware of this bug.

I'm looking for solution but it seems to be in Joplin itself.
Problem is that Laurent can't reproduce it so it's shooting in the dark for what might be happening.

I removed the app, shutdown Joplin, and then reinstalled it again. The panel is now gone :grin:

1 Like

Works great - thanks!

1 Like

Ok, new version (2.0.9) is following theme of Joplin automatically.
For example Dark
dark
and Solarized Dark:
solarized dark

The thing is that links are not blue on Light theme, now.
If someone wants them go back to blue, we'll figure out something.

1 Like

This may be jumping the gun, but if @CalebJohn's Rich Markdown plugin takes off, it would be nice to have a way of seeing the automatic backlinks. Of course CTRL+L (or CMD+L) to cycle to the viewer may be sufficient.

But perhaps an option to have a small panel? From what I gather, a number of us who use the Outline plugin have it as a panel underneath the note list panel (so that screen real estate isn't taken from the editor). A tiny panel underneath the outline panel might be a similarly elegant solution. And it should be scrollable in cases where there are lots of backlinks. But for the more typical case of 0, 1 or 2 backlinks, a tiny panel would work even w/o scrolling.

2 Likes

I have a confession. I installed this plugin because it sounded like a clever idea that would surely be useful.

But I haven't found a use case yet. Can someone point one out so I don't begin to second guess my judgement when I decide something is clever?

Why would I link one note to another when I can just combine into one note? I can use section headers and separators after all. Furthermore, if I link one note to another, in typical usage can't I just use the back button to get back to the parent note?

1 Like

There is quite different experience in having one long note vs many tiny notes.
I basically use this extension to have handy notion of related notes.

Like:
Parent note (here are auto backlinks to tiny notes)
5x Tiny note (each tiny note is some part of parent note)

I do intentionally keep those notes separated by topic, to keep them short.

I think about doing auto links inside editor.
That would be cool and rightfully is inspired by Rich Markdown.

When time permits i will include it.

As for panel - are you asking about rich text editor panel or typical side panel?
Typical side panel is implemented but there are some problems with it staying on even if its turned off default.

1 Like

I was asking for a typical side panel, which I didn't realize the plugin already has. I just enabled it.

But your idea of putting the auto backlinks directly inside the editor is an even better solution for those of us who use Rich Markdown.

1 Like

I've switched from the automatic backlinks in-note, to the panel. The "hide if no backlinks" feature doesn't seem to hide the panel if there are no backlinks. Can you please add that?

Also, I can affect the size of the "Backlinks" header in the panel by using tags, but it would also be nice to change the font size of the backlinks themselves. They're a bit small on my system. Can you add a font size option?

2 Likes

This setting is for preview pane only so it doesn't work for panel.
There is a bug in Joplin that makes ghost panels - if they are set to hidden
by plugin the space is still occupied (without content).
So for now auto hiding of panel wouldn't work (i've just checked it on Joplin 1.7.11 and 1.8.1)

Just pushed new version 2.0.10 with font size option:
Screenshot from 2021-04-10 13-33-49
Screenshot from 2021-04-10 13-34-01

Thanks for suggestion.

3 Likes

@ambrt you rock. :slight_smile: :metal:t2:

I've never had a problem with panel hiding while using the Outline plugin. I wonder why?

1 Like

I haven't used this plugin so i will check it. Maybe author is doing something different.
Just from curiosity, did you resized that panel or let it be at its default settings?