Are URL links on the roadmap?

This feature would be amazing and helpful in so many ways. Looking forward to this!

3 Likes

Checking if this is on the roadmap? I don't see this in the 1.4 roadmap.

2 Likes

I would love to be able to use this functionality
+1

2 Likes

I agree.This functionality would greatly enhance the overall utility of Joplin...

+1 from me.

3 Likes

+1, would really benefit from this feature of a sharable link (to quickly open a note via another application like Notion or Things 3). Any rough update or ETA on this?

I created a small program to handle joplin://ID links.
A helper .NET Core program is the handler and it sends the data to an IPC server running on Joplin that actually handles the note opening.

It's currently packed into my infant multi-purpose plugin, that only has a single feature besides the uri handling: a command to copy the markdown link of a note so that you can assign it a keyboard shortcut.

Since it uses named pipes and the registry, it's Windows only for now.
If anyone is interested, I could make a github repository to share it.

2 Likes

There is an suggestion to create and unify links to items (notes, tags and notebooks).
Basically to allow, for example, links to tags like
[#tag name](:/tag/<tag id>) in editor and clickable in preview

This is possible through plugin now but could better if implemented in a core,
following joplin://tag/<tag id> syntax.
https://discourse.joplinapp.org/t/quick-links-plugin/14214/18

I am also very interested in this, but this feature is closely aligned with sharing - both within and external to a Joplin installation. For example, the following are related:

1. Share a Joplin note link between notes (implemented).
  2. Share a Joplin link outside of Joplin, to facilitate integration with other apps (discussed here). This should also work with mobile.
  3. Share a Joplin link with other users (discussed elsewhere to some extent).

Just thinking aloud here.

Sharing with others is is being planned in the Joplin server if I am correct.

I paste Joplin links into other apps all the time, in hopes someday I'll be able to honor them and link directly into Joplin notes, or "convert" them into links that can do so.

Does anyone else do that? If not, how else to integrate other apps (such as to-do apps) and refer to Joplin notes?

Until this feature is implemented (or never is), a workaround would be useful. Joplin links currently display a title and embed a Note ID. Right now, I simply search for the title manually via cut and paste, as a search for the Note ID is not possible natively. This is OK, but less than ideal, as sometimes I have more than one note with the same title.

Is there a cleaner or simpler approach anyone is using? If not, I think a plugin that allows for searching and navigating to a note by note ID would be very useful. It would be especially helpful if it could also launch such a search via a button that extracts a note ID from a Joplin link that's residing in the clipboard.

I'd like to be able to generate URLs that open Joplin notes. And I like that the URLs can make that the opened note showed highlighted text (using range for lines or regular expressions, for example) or scrolling until a certain point in the note (similarly to the behaviour of an anchor #myanchor in an URL for a webpage).

2 Likes

+1 I would love to be able to create links to notes and other items in joplin. It would be awesome If I could drag the item and have the link/url created. For instance in a thunderbrid email. But simply being able to right click and copy the link the same way that you can get the markdown link,would be great.

1 Like

For inspiration... Links to specific emails are can be made with the thunderlink addon for Mozilla thunderbird:

There are two incarnations of this addon, because Thurderbird's recent moves broke the older addon.. But it looks like they needed to create a handler.

Any thoughts from the Devs on this? Seems like an essential feature for linking Joplin with other apps.

This issue was implemented in Obsidian in under 5 months after being raised: URL Scheme - #52 by xurc - Feature archive - Obsidian Forum

Whereas this thread has been open for over 2 years

Can you explain how you use it with Joplin ?

This is a critical feature. I've used this functionality extensively in Evernote. How is the implementation coming along? I'd definitely be willing to commit one or two Dev's time to the implementation after an upcoming expansion.

Nothing has been done so far, but it's been discussed several times and we roughly know how it should be done. I've put a spec there if you or someone is interested in implementing it:

I've had a look over the development environment specification, and that should be fine.

As far as coding goes, even though I have not used Node.js or TypeScrypt before I am sure I will be able to pick those up promptly.

Are there any design level artefacts available, principally a system architecture document (e.g. UML diagram)?

With regard to the x-callback-url functionality. My principal target platform is actually Linux, as all my machines run or Debian. I believe that the equivalent to x-callback in Linux is custom URL protocol handlers [x-scheme-handler]. I would of course look to implement the functionality on all platform Joplin applications, however working on my native platform first will be most straight forward.

I'm not sure what the convention is i.e. whether I should have moved over to the GitHub issue already, so I will copy this message both here and there.

I've outlined a basic programme as follows:

CODE

• A method will need to be coded for constructing the externally accessible (Data API) URL for the target note and copying it to the clipboard
    • This method should be accessible via:
      • UI button press
      • Context menu option
  • An openNoteExt() method will need to be coded to finally execute the changing of the active note in the Joplin application to the target note.

EXECUTION FLOW

• The Data API sub-system will need to call the openNoteExt() method upon receiving a request at the endpoint URL
  • The openNoteExt() method will need to change the active note in the Joplin application to the target note identified in the request URL, and to bring the Joplin application into focus if it is already open and in the background.
1 Like

Ok let's use the GitHub post for discussions and close this one.