Are URL links on the roadmap?

While we’re at it, what do people think about having different types of links:

• to individual notes e.g. joplin://note/<note id>
  • to fodlers: joplin://folder/<folder id>
  • to tags: joplin://tag/<tag id>
8 Likes

Thank you. I will definitely look into this.

1 Like

We certainly need some specs for that. IMO different type of links make sense, but not sure, if the ones used as an example do.

3 Likes

:+1: x-callback-url deep linking support would open a universe of automation opportunities.

I could update my Alfred workflow to provide a global quick-open tool for example, or like my NotePlan Alfred workflow, it could create new pages in Joplin programatically.

Another huge thing it might accomodate is integration with Hook: Integration: How Hook Works with Your Favorite Apps – Hook

It can be difficult to grok Hook at first, but it's "Copy Markdown Link" feature is easy to understand and demonstrates how incredibly powerful it is. You can create a concise URL to pretty much anything, files, emails, websites, etc. that you can open anywhere. With x-callback-url deep linking support in Joplin, I could use Hook to create a link to a Joplin page and paste it into any app, like my task manager of choice to schedule an action on a specific date. When the date floats up, I click the link, and it opens the page in Joplin. And visa versa, I could past a Hook link to a task into a Joplin page that links back the other way.

It's like an abstraction layer over the x-callback-url schema that hooks apps together without the need for any other form of scripting or automation.

(I have no affiliation with Hook by the way)

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply. I have only just come across this thread.

I completely agree with the proposal. I think a way of linking to notes would indeed open a world of possibilities. Personally I (think that I) would only need links to individual notes. I can certainly see the benefits of linking to other “things”:folders, tags, et, though.

@werth, have you taken this any further yet?

1 Like

It was discussed here Proposal to add Android App Widget recently.
@fstanis was going to look into this.

1 Like

Hey, sorry, got caught in stuff, but still working on the widget + support for joplin://note/<note id> style links, as this seems to be the preferred option per laurent’s reply.

Note that I wasn’t planning to expose these (i.e. we’d need a copy link button), but we can easily add that later.

2 Likes

This is a core feature that I'll probably implement myself, but feel free to implement the widget first and assume that the URLs will be like those in the data API: https://joplinapp.org/api

5 Likes

Perfect, that makes things much easier for me. Will send first draft of widget with this assumption then.

2 Likes

I am really looking forward to being able to jump to a note via a url type link.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Yes, this is very necessary, especially for external expansion. . .

2 Likes

This would be an awesome awesome feature. Is there a GitHub issue already?

1 Like

I really appreciate the URL links idea :grinning:. I wonder, however, if the joplin://... style links are missing some information. I am thinking of information somehow identifying the database for a Joplin instance.

For example, let's say Joplin is installed on a computer with multiple user accounts. Then for every user running Joplin there is a separate user-specific database. Now if there is a joplin://... link we don't know which Joplin database this link is referring to. AFAIR, in some other forum discussion thread someone tried to run Joplin instances with custom database locations in order to be able to separate data that shouldn't be maintained in the same Joplin database (e.g. private vs. work notes). For this use case, a similar question arises.

I currently have no idea how an URL including information identifying a concrete Joplin data source would look like. But maybe it's worth it to spend a few thoughts on this matter.

2 Likes

Yes, it would be an outstanding feature. For calendars, projects, maps.

1 Like

This feature would be amazing and helpful in so many ways. Looking forward to this!

3 Likes

Checking if this is on the roadmap? I don't see this in the 1.4 roadmap.

2 Likes

I would love to be able to use this functionality
+1

2 Likes

I agree.This functionality would greatly enhance the overall utility of Joplin...

+1 from me.

3 Likes

+1, would really benefit from this feature of a sharable link (to quickly open a note via another application like Notion or Things 3). Any rough update or ETA on this?

I created a small program to handle joplin://ID links.
A helper .NET Core program is the handler and it sends the data to an IPC server running on Joplin that actually handles the note opening.

It's currently packed into my infant multi-purpose plugin, that only has a single feature besides the uri handling: a command to copy the markdown link of a note so that you can assign it a keyboard shortcut.

Since it uses named pipes and the registry, it's Windows only for now.
If anyone is interested, I could make a github repository to share it.

2 Likes