Adding support to animated GIFs?

Would it be possible to add support to animated GIFs?
I collect several tutorials and quite often there are GIFs to help following along.
When I paste the image in to Joplin it’s converted to a PNG file as expected. It would be handy to keep the animated GIF property.

1 Like

Joplin does support animated GIFs it just seems to depend on how you add the GIF to a note.

• If you drag and drop an animated GIF into a note using your file manager it will store and display the image as an animated GIF
  • If you attach an animated GIF into your note it will store and display the image as an animated GIF
  • If you copy and paste an animated gif into a note directly from a web page it gets converted to a static PNG
  • If you drag and drop an animated GIF into a note directly from a web page it gets converted to a static BMP which does not display (this one seems to vary depending on browser and / or OS used as some combinations store the bmp, some the bmp and a url, and others just the url only)

Basically if you download the gif from the web site onto your machine first, you can add it to a note and it will be stored and display as an animated GIF.

It’s not ideal that the result varies depending on how you try to add the GIF, but at least you can store your tutorial animations!

animatedgif

2 Likes

Thank you, @dpoulton

Agreed, it's not ideal but at least it's doable! :slight_smile:

I should note that Joplin doesn’t do any conversion when pasting an image. It just takes whatever is in the clipboard and put it there.

What happens probably is that when you copy a gif, the browser puts only the first frame of it in the clipboard, so Joplin has no way to get the full animated gif back.

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification, Laurent!