A markdown outline sidebar plugin for Joplin

The warnings are normal when the app is starting (in fact I should probably remove them), and the PluginService issue I'm not sure as the error message is missing.

Do you have any error like "resizableLayout_renderItem: Trying to render an item using an empty key"? This is a message I recently added to try to detect and fix this bug.

Come to think of it, it seems to happen mainly when multiple plugins are involved and as I was trying to narrow down the problem I've only tried with one. I'll try to install a bunch of them and see if I can replicate it.

1 Like

No, don't see one like this. When I search for it, I only see that property as it relates to the warning.

I was serious when I said I have a dozen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same issue, but on Joplin 1.7.10 (prod, win32). I've got these plugins installed.

Joplin 1.7.10 (prod, win32)

I had this issue also while developing a plugin. I accidently renamed the panel registered by the plugin (joplin.views.panels.create('note.tabs.panel2');). Then a new entry in ui.layout will be created (at the right most panel) but the old one remains. See below screenshot. Maybe it should be checked whether the panel is still registered by the plugin, otherwise it will be removed from ui.layout.

What you can see is the new panel starting from line 46. But in line 29 the old one remains which will be displayed as an empty ("ghost") panel.

1 Like

OK, I saw the messages.
Joplin's version was too old !! (I don't update frequently on this computer, because I have to disconnect from the company's network to do it...

Thanks!

1.1.0 support it.

1 Like

Hi, really liking this plugin as an alternative to the CSS TOC I have been using so far.

Could we have an option to disable the linewrap for long titles, so that

Extremely long and
specific, yet boring
title

becomes

Extremely long and...

Thanks!

2 Likes

OK, I will add this feature in the next version.

1 Like

Great, thanks a lot!

I initially didn't install this plugin because it used too much of my valuable screen real estate (The css ToC is absolutely brilliant in this regard as the table is only ever visible when hitting the right side of the window! It would be great if this could be replicated). However, @uxamanda's comment about placing the Outline panel below the Notes panel provided me with a workable option. Alas, I now have another usability issue:

• if I choose to "hide" the Notes panel so that I can devote devote more screen area to the note, the Outline panel doesn't hide.

I can appreciate why but, this highlights the benefit of being able to hide columns instead of just panels

In any case, I think that I'll simply go back to using the css option. The convenience of having a ToC automagically appear and then disappear when required far outweighs the need to add "[toc]" in my notes.

I agree – I wrote up more details on this issue here: Toggle panels vs Toggle features - change / add keyboard shortcut

I can confirm my ghost panels showed up after installing multiple plugins. Unfortunately, deleting the cache and tmp folders doesn't remove them. Possibly because I'd already uninstalled the plugins?

1 Like

Sometimes I'll be working in a note and clicking on a header in the Outline has no effect. If I switch to another note, then come back to my original note, clicking on a header in the Outline works as expected and brings me to that header in the note.

Haven't figured out how to reliably replicate this error. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Outline plugin 1.0.11
Joplin 1.7.10 (prod, win32)

Hi, same problem here, maybe one every five try. Like you I couldn't understand why sometimes it work and why sometimes it doesn't.

1 Like

Yes, here too, Outline sometimes becomes unresponsive, and I need to click a different note then back again, and all is good once more.

1 Like

I also encountered this problem. I still don't know what caused this. I will try to fix it.

1 Like

If we all keep an eye on it, we may be able to figure out how to replicate, which would probably make it a lot easier to identify the cause.

I don't use this plugin but I wonder if it's not related to another problem I see with internal links.
I create anchors to browse inside my (long) notes and it's kind of a "hit & miss".
It works once, or twice, then it doesn't. If I move to another note then go back, it works again... or not. And so on.

I can't see any pattern. And I see nothing in the dev tools when it doesn't work.
Suddenly these links are dead.

1 Like

One thing I'm noticing re: non-functional outline headers issue is that when it happens, switching to another note using note tabs doesn't "reset" and clear the issue. I have to switch to another note using the note list - then when I switch back to the original note, the outline panel's headers take me to the corresponding location in the note.