A markdown outline sidebar plugin for Joplin

Thanks, this makes it easier to discern the header hierarchy at a quick glance.

For anyone wondering (as I did) where to find the codes for various symbols, here's a complete list of unicode characters: Unicode character list - Code Table.NET

Some simple ones (not sure how @cqroot put those symbols directly in the prefix fields, so I used the decimal code):
bullet point: &#8226
dash: &#45

Wow, thank you very much, this is a nice feature and give us a lot of flexibility!!! awesome, this should be included in Joplin core src

1.0.7 fix it.

1 Like

Thanks, looks great!

I love this plugin. Is it now available through the official Joplin plugin repository? If it is I couldn't see it. Including it there would make it easier to keep track of updates :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reminder, I will learn how to add to the official Joplin plugin repository.

If you have an npmjs account and run npm publish that should work. A script will then pick up the package and add it to the plugin repo.

Has been added to the official Joplin plugin repository.

3 Likes

:+1:

Love this plug-in. It let me eliminate the embedded toc in every note which means the editor and the rendered pane are much better synced.

The only thing I miss is Numbered Headers. I use <div class=n-“> in my standard template to number my headers because numbering lets me navigate in documents faster. Is there any way I can carry the numbering into the Outline panel?

Can you give me a screenshot to let me know the approximate effect you want.

Hi,
I've got a problem with the plugin. I installed it on two macs without problems, but on the PC I use at work it doesn't work at all.
I can desinstall the plugin, reinstall it (no message), but it isn't available. No TOC at the right, and no Outline preference in the Options panel ...
Is there sowehere a log file I can consult?

Could you check in the dev tools if there's any error? It's under the Help menu

Thanks for considering this request!

Here's a sample doc with Header numbers.

The related CSS:

/* BEGIN: NUMBERED HEADINGS */

body {
  counter-reset: h2counter h3counter h4counter h5counter h6counter;
}

h1 { counter-reset: h2counter h3counter h4counter h5counter h6counter;}
h2 { counter-reset: h3counter h4counter h5counter h6counter;}
h3 { counter-reset: h4counter h5counter h6counter;}
h4 { counter-reset: h5counter h6counter;}
h5 { counter-reset: h6counter;}
h6 {}

.n- h2:before {
    counter-increment: h2counter;
    content: counter(h2counter) ".\A0\A0\A0";
}

.n- h3:before {
    counter-increment: h3counter;
    content: counter(h2counter) "." counter(h3counter) "\A0\A0\A0\A0\A0";
}

.n- h4:before {
    counter-increment: h4counter;
    content: counter(h2counter) "." counter(h3counter) "." counter(h4counter) "\A0\A0\A0\A0\A0";
}

.n- h5:before {
    counter-increment: h5counter;
    content: counter(h2counter) "." counter(h3counter) "." counter(h4counter) "." counter(h5counter) "\A0\A0\A0\A0\A0";
}

.n- h6:before {
    counter-increment: h6counter;
    content: counter(h2counter) "." counter(h3counter) "." counter(h4counter) "." counter(h5counter) "." counter(h6counter) "\A0\A0\A0\A0\A0";
}

/* END: NUMBERED HEADINGS */

I will consider adding this feature in the next version.

Great plugin, it's a big improvement for productive work!

Bug (?): Clicking on an item does nothing if the referenced section includes an emoji, e.g. "## :bulb: Tips:"

Ideas for new functionality:

• Toggle button (or keyboard shortcut) to hide/show the outline, similar to how F10 and F11 work now.
  • For long notes (and long outlines), allow collapsing and expanding items in the TOC
2 Likes

I upgraded to Joplin 1.7.11 (prod, darwin) and also upgraded to v1.0.11 of this plugin. I am not sure if this is a plugin bug or an app bug, but I had this plugin moved to the bottom of the note list column. When I upgraded it moved back to the far right, and now I have a blank application panel that I don't know how to get rid of.

Has anyone else seen that?

(Note, i have a dozen plugins installed, so might not have anything to do with this one! just happened to be this panel that turned blank).

2 Likes

@uxamanda, I had this, a ghost panel. In the joplin-desktop folder, I searched out and deleted cache and temp files for the outline plugin, that sorted it.

Linux paths, or the eqivalent for Windows:

~/.config/joplin-desktop/cache
~/.config/joplin-desktop/tmp

I would like to fix that bug, which other users reported too, but I can't replicate it. Is there any error message in the console about this?

Not sure, here are the 2 errors I see at the moment...

at PluginService.<anonymous> (/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/services/plugins/PluginService.js:262)
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at fulfilled (/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/services/plugins/PluginService.js:5)
log @ /Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/@joplin/lib/Logger.js:181

Probably unrelated to this issue, but might be why I cant update that plugin!

The other error is still related to that malformed URL from before Right Click on Mac - #5 by uxamanda

Looking into warnings, I see lots of them that look like these. Seems to be multiple warnings for the dozen plugins. Let me know if you need more of these.

/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/gui/MainScreen/MainScreen.js:493 Could not find plugin associated with view: plugin-view-outline-outline.panel
/Applications/Joplin.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/gui/MainScreen/MainScreen.js:493 Could not find plugin associated with view: plugin-view-joplin.plugin.benji.favorites-favorites.panel