Why does the editor require a monospace font?

Just interested what the rationale is behind limiting the markdown editor to a monospace font?

I understand it’s value in code blocks, and in tables, but beyond those is it such a strong requirement? Most of my notes are just text and images, so it would be nice to have them in a more text-friendly font when editing. (Appreciate I can override it with the CSS but curious why the preference option for font is quite so strict - maybe I’m missing something about markdown.)

This has nothing to do with markdown, this requirement comes from the fact that Joplin uses ace-editor under the hood (specifically react-ace) which doesn’t support non-monospace fonts.

It would be great to have a new editor, but it will take a lot of work to integrate a new one and seeing how Joplin is developed by volunteers in their spare time, it’ll just take awhile.

4 Likes

Beyond that, it just makes sense. Markdown is unformatted, the rendered document is formatted. I would say almost all text editors that edit source code (XML, HTML, Markdown, etc.) default to monospaced fonts.