Sync-Version: 3
Profil-Version: 46
Unterstützter Schlüsselbund: Ja

Revision: e579eb9

Backup: 1.4.0

Sync target

Joplin Server

What issue do you have?

We are using Joplin in a two user environment on macOS. Each user has its own notebooks.
When using the WebClipper on Firefox only one (the first) user account is used. That means that my wife can use the WebClipper in her own macOS account, but she were offered my Joplin notebooks as a target for her clippings. Her own notebooks are not offered as a target.
I assume that is due to the same port. But how can I overcome this?

Thanks

Are you sharing one computer or do each of you have your own computer?

If you each have your own computer and each of you is logged into your own personal Joplin database the Web Clipper will clip to whatever the running open Joplin database is at that time.

If you're sharing one computer and person a has the Joplin database open then Web Clips will go to that database.

If you are on one computer you can create two separate profiles which will keep your notebooks separate and you just need to make sure that the proper profile is loaded when you do your web clipping.

Thanks, @LeoW

we are sharing one Macbook with seperate user accounts on operation system level. So each of us login on macOS with an own user account. In general no one of us logs out. Joplin is running on both user accounts concurrently with seperate user accounts on Joplin server. I can not access notebooks of my wife (and vice versa).

I do nut fully understand the concept of Joplin profiles in this context. But I will experiment with them and see, if it helps to solve the WebClipping problem.

I think I might know what your problem is. User a logs into the computer first and runs Joplin which listens on a specific port number for web clipping information. If that user does not exit Joplin and user B logs in the port that the Web Clipper is going to use might still be the one pointing to user a.

When you switch between user accounts make sure that Joplin has been exited on the account that you're switching from and launched on the one that you're going to. It's possible that you have two versions of Joplin running at the same time and one of them is taking precedence over the other on the port the TCP Port that the Web Clipper is using.

1 Like

Yes, that was my initial assumption, too (see initial post)
But logging off from Joplin each time I leave the Macbook is not practical. I use Joplin regulary and it is running all the time. I think the TCP port, that WebClipper uses, must be configurable. Is there a way to do it? Maybe in the Firefox profile?

Sorry, I have found no way to customize the port number however I noticed on my Windows computer I logged in to my normal user and launched Joplin and it shows a port number. Then without closing Joplin and without logging off I logged in as somebody else and started Joplin and attempted to configure the Web Clipper. It kept telling me that I needed to Grant it permission in the app. After getting frustrated I switched back to my original user without logging out of the second one and sure enough the original Joplin was asking to Grant permission to the Web Clipper that was running under the second user account even though both were running on Independent port numbers.

If the two of you are going to share one computer and both of you want to remain logged in and just switch from one user to the other it is imperative that user A exit from Joplin while user B is using Joplin and user B needs to exit from Joplin when user A wants to use Joplin. That is the only way you're going to get this to work.

And all likelihood you have authorized both web Clippers with the same version of Joplin and you need to undo that. Each Web Clipper needs to be authorized by the proper version of Joplin and the only way to do that is for you to exit from Joplin when you're not using the computer and only have one person actively running the Joplin software at any one time. when logged into user A exit from Joplin and then switch to user B. Going to the browser and remove the extension completely and re-edit and then authorize it with the Joplin software from user B. If each Web Clipper is authorized with the proper version of Joplin you should get rid of your problem.

This sounds promising :+1:
I will try this in the evening. Thanks.

I just read your original post again and it sounds very much like both Web Clipper plugins are authorized by the same physical installation of Joplin. If one installation of Joplin authorized the activation of both Web Clipper plugins into the browser that would be a perfect explanation as to why you're getting offered only one set of notebooks. Uninstalling the plugins and making sure you authorize them with the local installation of Joplin for that user is what is needed.

1 Like

solved - Thanks @LeoW :pray:

1 Like