Web Clipper API for CLI

Hi,

I use no DE on my personnal computer and do not want to. That’s why I’d love to run the clipper from the CLI : I do not plan to even have the desktop app installed.

Any way, what a wonderfull app : I’ve been looking for somehting like that since the start of evernote and had resign to not use any because none of them was fitting my needs, pros and cons.

I don’t understand. How do you want to use a clipper, if you don’t have a browser? Text browsers don’t allow you to use web extensions.
So how exactly do you want to use the clipper? Pipe text into it?

In any case, there are a bunch of scripts and wrappers which do that exactly that. Check out the Apps category.

Not having a DE doesn’t mean I don’t have a browser : using a window manager here.

When I wrote “run the clipper from the CLI” I meant run the clipper server.

This makes no sense. A window manager is a desktop environment.

This has been requested a few times already. Not sure what the status is.

I have to strongly disagree. A quick search with "desktop environement vs window manager" could show you what I mean if needed.

Anyway, I saw the request and replied since the thread didn't seem too old to me and someone stated it might not be difficult to make it possible : no need to add a new thread, just a kind of up and upvote.

Gonna have a deeper look on the github repo if I find any activity that could be related.

No need. I understand the technical differences. I was exaggerating for the sake of the GUI argument.
You did not mention window manager, only desktop environment, plus the fact that you also mentioned CLI, your statement was rather unclear and more likely that you used a cli based system. A headless system with no GUI at all. Anyway, next time, please be more specific. People can't guess what you mean, if a statement can be interpreted in several different ways.

Btw, you said you wanted to run the clipper from the cli.

This is not the same as: starting the web clipper service from the cli (app).

Indeed.

Really ?

Sure. As DE is not WM. For the sake of what you'll be pleased.

BTW, thanks for the link, found a few interesting things.

• That is what I would do. I already host my Nextcloud on a pi 3. (Probably will eventually migrate t a pi 4 with ssd).

Is there a way to separate the Web Clipper from the application?

The great solution for me is:

• Running Web Clipper as a service/daemon startup/manually
  • Sync my local apps (cli, desktop, myapp, extensions of other apps) with the Clipper service
  • Sync my remote data via Joplin sync.

In this point I see that the Web Clipper should have settings of sync and communicate local service.

Now it seems to me more transparent and easier to maintain. It is necessary to strengthen the development of the service and leave the development of interfaces and plugins to the rest (not of the main repo) of the developers.

As a sample of the such app you can look at github.com/rxliuli/joplin-vscode-plugin. This plugin requires only the Web Clipper running.

Joplin Desktop eats at least %15 of my laptop memory, so that is really not so feasible.