Unlimited number of days for note history feature

Has any progress been made on this?

Instead of supporting unlimited number of days, would it make sense to implement an expiration logic a bit similar to backup applications?

For example (from rsync-time-backup)

Backup sets are automatically deleted following a simple expiration strategy defined with the --strategy flag. This strategy is a series of time intervals with each item being defined as x:y, which means "after x days, keep one backup every y days". The default strategy is 1:1 30:7 365:30, which means:

• After 1 day, keep one backup every 1 day (1:1).
  • After 30 days, keep one backup every 7 days (30:7).
  • After 365 days, keep one backup every 30 days (365:30).

Before the first interval (i.e. by default within the first 24h) it is implied that all backup sets are kept. Additionally, if the backup destination directory is full, the oldest backups are deleted until enough space is available.

Would there be any interest in that kind of feature?

3 Likes

This, IMO, would be a very effective system to use.

That is true, the slider is already a pain to use. Why not replacing it with a simple number field and allowing 1 ... 999, but also 1k ... 100k ?

1 Like

I would be interested.

+1 for unlimited number of days for note history.

Example: I accidentally deleted part of an old note that was made in 2019. I hoped that the note history actually work and corresponds to 90 days. That is, changes made in the last 90 days can be undone(!). But this did not happen - only my single erroneous change made over the past 90 days remained, and it can't be undone. Something is wrong with the logic, or it must be changed. The bigger number of days is not the solution in such case. Over time, there will always be a note that is older than the specified number of days. On the other hand, there could be notes that I change every day, and I don't need to keep their changes for decades to protect my old notes from accidents.
Maybe to keep always one more note older than note history period could be the solution ?

1 Like

How about this implementation?

Unlimited and indefinite note history

Add a Limit note history checkbox like website design - How to enable users to insert an infinity number - User Experience Stack Exchange. If unchecked, maximize the note history value. If checked, show the existing Keep note history for (days) as a numeric input on both desktop and mobile.

Add a separate Minimum revisions to keep numeric input for saving one or more note revisions indefinitely. This could prevent frustrations like what @HiBing0 experienced.

These features could work with or without the following:

Expiration logic

Split each strategy item into a rule label, Delete button, and After (days) and Keep 1 backup every (days) numeric inputs. Show an Add backup rule button below all rules if any exist.

If a fixed number of backup rules is preferred, replace the delete buttons with checkboxes (desktop) and toggles (mobile) that show and hide the inputs.

Either interface encourages easier understanding of the strategy and shorter, more mobile friendly input values.

Questions

Should spontaneous intraday note history throughout the Keep note history for (days) duration be preserved? If yes, how can that be achieved with this logic? Keep note history for (days) would act as a limit while the expiration logic dictates regular backup intervals.

1 Like