Unique folder names

Is there a good reason Joplin lets you have multiple folders with the same name? I can’t think of any.
I’d even argue folder names should be case-insensitive so that “Folder” and “fOlDeR” are the same.

I don’t see a problem with having multiple folders with same name. User should have the ability to customize as much as they need and as soon as we have the created-at property with every folder object. It shouldn’t be an issue to distinguish for an impeccable reason.

You don’t even need the created-at properties – folders like notes have unique ids, that what allows Joplin to have duplicate names.

It’s just that in my opinion it creates confusion, e.g. I was running my keep to joplin exporter and accidentally created multiple copies of the same folder. Sure I can handle it at the source but it got me thinking what was the reason for allowing this in the first place.

but it got me thinking what was the reason for allowing this in the first place.

Umm.. even i had that query when i started to see duplicate folder names is an option but soon it wasn't coz removing this will just create an issue coz there will be a user who would need this too. Somehow :stuck_out_tongue:

I doubt that, that's why I posted here.

1 Like

I doubt that, that’s why I posted here.

Cool. Let's see.

We allow it in part due to sync, and in part because all new notebooks are created at the root, but then you can move them to sub-notebooks.

1 Like

Please don't remove this functionallity! I use that quite a lot. Mostly for my GTD practise in Joplin. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just out of interest could you explain how this helps with GTD?

I have several parent notebooks with different names, but they include the same sub-notebooks. So if I can’t have the same name on those I would need to add a numbert in-front of them every time. E.G.

• Parent 0
    • Active
    • Finished
    • Waiting for
  • Parent 1
    • Active
    • Finished
    • Waiting for
  • and so on

I’m going to write up a post how I use Joplin for GTD, and these are just examples (not exactly how my system looks). But that is the idea why I have several with the same names.

4 Likes

Ah I see. I actually only meant that names should be unique on the same level.