The first phase of GSoC has ended!

The first phase of GSoC has ended and the two students who will be working with the Joplin community in summer have been selected! So congratulation to @naviji and @anjulalk ! We’re glad to have you on board, and looking forward for the improvements you’re going to make as part of your projects on, respectively, the search engine and the keyboard shortcut editor! We’ll be in touch to give you more info on what happens next.

On our side, this is our first GSoC and we learnt quite a bit in the process. We got feedback from the students and we’re definitely taking it on board. One key point is that we didn’t expect Joplin to get that much interest as this is a relatively new project, and as a result we had trouble managing the number of proposals and pull requests we got. We also quickly ran out of “Good first issues”, which means for students coming a bit late it wasn’t clear what you could work on.

So next year, we’ll restrict a bit the number and the type of pull requests each student can make. Ideally we’d prefer if you work on only one or two medium-sized pull requests, rather than several small ones, so that you can really focus on it and give your best work. Of course, that makes it also more manageable for us as there will be less pull requests to review. I wasn’t too happy with the way I was reviewing sometimes, giving short and not very helpful comments at time, as I was trying to get as many PRs done as possible. Instead it would be best to do less but do it better.

Another point is that we should make it clear how many slots we’re likely to get. We cannot know for sure, it’s up to Google, but we can at least give an estimate. That way, you can decide whether it makes sense to invest your time in the project, or if it would be best to pick a different, less busy project.

In any case, this is a learning process for all, and we aim to improve over time.

Many thanks to all the students who joined us this year! We definitely appreciate your time and contribution on this project, whether it’s with your pull requests or via your participation on the forum, and you’re of course welcome to give it another try next year, or to stay around in the community.

Also many thanks to our mentors @PackElend, @bedwardly-down, @mic704b, @tessus, @CalebJohn, @rullzer for their help coordinating all this, writing the documentation and reviewing pull request and proposals!

11 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: GSoC '20 Thanking the community!

I’m probably a bit late to comment here.

Even though I was disappointed I did not get selected, I actually quite enjoyed the process of contributing. Joplin was the first open-source project that I contributed, so I have good feelings about it. I will, hopefully, continue contributing to Joplin as well as other open-source projects.

Also, I had applied for the search problem. Congratulations to @naviji for getting selected on it. I spent quite some time on determining what possible difficulties would arise while implementing the search feature. So I know the ins-and-outs of the search feature. Maybe, if you can post the accepted proposal somewhere, I and probably the rest of the community can provide feedback on it!

Finally, thanks to all the people who interacted with me! @PackElend, @bedwardly-down, @mic704b, @tessus, @CalebJohn @laurent. I learned a lot while doing this.

7 Likes

I'm sorry you didn't get selected. I think a lot of good proposals went unselected because of the limited slots available for new organizations like Joplin in GSOC.

Thank you for offering help and feedback. I appreciate it :slight_smile:
My proposal along with some others have been posted here:

2 Likes

I hadn't seen that thread. Thanks and all the best! Your proposal seems so much better than mine. You deserved to be selected :smile: