Tasks calendar integration

The simplest poc solution could be implementation of following scenario for magistral case:

• User created task
  • User pressed add reminder on editor
  • User picked stamp
  • User saw option iCal button
  • User pressed iCal button
  • bullet option save as or open with
  • User picked save as option
    • System file saving dialog opened
    • User picked file path
    • iCal event with joplin style mardown link in body was created at picked location
  • User picked open with option
    • iCal event with joplin style mardown link in body was created in temporary directory
    • System open with api used to open created iCal event (xdg-open for linux for example)

Other option which should be implemented to achive this - joplin should be able to search and/or open it’s own markdown uri.

As long term goal - iCal button could be transformed to calendar button, with support of other event formats, like caldav, timewarrior and others. ICS format was choosen as most wide spread and supported by tons of other software. Also it’s quite simple plain text format.

For example it could be following uri:

joplin://d925532e9f714e92bb6d8686ef0f8f03

joplin URI scheme could be useful for the following cases:

• Handle links from other sources like calendar
  • Work together on synchronized KB and exchange links on topics

So there are two achievable milestones:

• uri scheme and it’s handling
  • exporting simple caldav file with joplin uri as event body
3 Likes

I totally agree and I have mentioned this in either a gh issue or on the forum. This would require to register a URI for the app and also requires deep linking. But I believe this functionality is rather limited for react-native and electron apps.
I really would like to have a joplin:// URI. This would allow us to do all sorts of cool stuff.

4 Likes

The Telegram one as well the VSCode are able to handle such URI's so I believe it's possible for electron applications :slight_smile:

Recently I read up on deep linking for react native, seems fairly straight forward as well.

1 Like

This is great news. I’m fairly confident that PRs will be accepted in that area. Nevertheless the specifics should still be discussed here first.

2 Likes

@PackElend, is there anyway that this could possibly added as a GSoC project? After a quick search, this has been requested quite a bit and would definitely be a great extra feature added to Joplin to make the TODOs more useful and Tessus and Caleb looked on board with it back when it was posted.

1 Like

for sure,
I would say it can be added to ideas, do a PR against joplin/ideas.md at master · laurent22/joplin · GitHub and done :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure it’s within the scope of the project, as calendar integration is something rather big that requires system integration. And that the kind of integration that breaks easily with each system upgrade (or calendar app upgrade) so a significant maintenance burden.

Deep linking as Tessus and Caleb discussed might be more doable, but we’d need to discuss the details and what it can be used for. It’s also not so easy as it requires system integration too, on Windows, Linux, macOS, Android and iOS.

Probably an idea could be to register thr joplin instance also to an caldav account:
then the metadata from a task with reminder is compatible to the caldav syntax
and the notebody is invluded in the notes from an task

But I think this is neither simple to implement nor keeps it the code simple

1 Like

This is where getting a concrete plugin system could be super useful. I've been looking into some ace editor alternatives lately and some of them have plugin systems built in that could possibly allow this kind of feature added with the main hassle being rebuilding the editor code from the ground up.

2 Likes

Opening up this subject again, I will explain how a CalDAV integration would be useful for me from a user’s perspective.

I find I use Joplin to organize and save all sorts of disparate information of things going on in my life such as responsibilities, projects, and technical information. On a daily basis, I find myself reviewing this information and creating / editing actions plans of tasks organized in hierarchies, categories, priorities, dates, etc.

For daily management of these tasks, I find myself using a dedicated open source task program on my Android phone which is CalDAV compatible. (tasks.org - https://tasks.org/docs/sync.html)

Summary: for organizing and planning, I prefer Joplin in a big screen, keyboard environment and for execution, I use a small touch screen device and a program that integrates with my other calendar and task programs. During execution, I make in the field changes to my “plan” and it would be nice to have these sync’ed back to Joplin.

I’ve tried Joplin for task execution but I find it easier to use a dedicated task management program.

Here’s my question: rather than a full blown CalDAV implementation, how about some soft of API that would provide the Joplin task data on a take it or leave it basis for a task program such as tasks.org that would be willing to provide an interface on their side?

2 Likes

Once the plugin system is ready, I guess a plugin that sync with a CalDAV account should be possible. Then once it’s there, the data can indeed be used by tasks.org or similar software.

5 Likes

Yes, that would be great!
Now I am using Joplin and Tasks in a more ‘double’ work copy/paste action.
So, I note in Joplin or in Tasks and then copy to Tasks if it has te become a task and to Joplin if it has to be a note. The ‘To do’ part of Joplin isn’t clear enough to be usable.

I think a kind of task/reminder integration thru CalDAV would be top, I don’t think that it has to become a real calendar.

Anyway, thanks for what Joplin is now already!

A plugin would be great but how about a halfway step such as the ability to select a task with sub-tasks and export it as an ICS file? I find myself using three basic tools for information storage and planning: 1) Joplin for all sorts of things including information capture and project planning, 2) task management for project execution, and 3) calendar driven events/tasks for time driven items.

My wish is to have some kind of tool to bridge the void between Joplin and tasks & calendar specific software.

BTW, I love using Joplin, it’s the best software I’ve found since Lotus Agenda which was a long time ago.

1 Like

Is anyone working on the feature by any chance?

There is the Kanban plugin (beta version i think) you can use for track tasks: Kanban Plugin Weekly Report

Is anyone working on this feature?
I agree with thomascrisan that a plugin is the way to go.
I think is very useful to be able to see all your task/events in one calendar view.

It looks like nobody has decided to work on it after all.

1 Like