Syntax to link notes

Nice, wasn't aware of that...

True; along with the linking syntax, suggested in the original post, you'd also want to be able to navigate back and forth from notes ( traversing the stack of visite notes ), perhaps via cmd + [ / cmd + ]. Being able to loop through and visited cross-referenced notes ( cmd + j / cmd + k to highlight, hit enter to visit ? ) in a note would be neat.

2 Likes

Don't feel bad. I'm figuring all of this out by the seat of my pants. :laughing:

Most definitely. There is a back button that does allow you to switch between child and parent. I'm not sure how far down you can go with it, nor the key combos to go back and forth, but it's something.

Yes, its a blessing :sparkles:

Exactly, and the fact that it is limited to just backward navigation. What's pretty nice in chrome browsers is that the navigational stack history is available.

So regarding traversing the navigational stack, imagine a widget popping up, not all that different from Goto Anything that lets you traverse the navigation history:

previous, previous note
previous note
current note, highlighted
next note
next, next note

And just use your up and down keys to traverse through the list

1 Like

Most definitely.

One more idea wrt the proposed syntax:

[[title-of-the-note inline]]

Would present the usual link the to referenced notebook and render the referenced note inlined in the current note

Keep It Succinct Stupid :wink:

1 Like

I couldn’t wrap my head around getting the Joplin-Web app working or building properly (on Arch based distros, pip is definitely not your friend; if there isn’t a package available for a python module, manually installing can and does brrak so many things). If you could get it working properly, i wonder if the browser’s back and forth features could solve some of the app’s current shortcomings.

Joplin-web

@bedwardly-down is the above perhaps meant for another topic?

Not at all. I was suggesting a possible alternative method of using Joplin that may be able to simulate what you’re looking for. I would test it out but my Linux distribution doesn’t play nice with the python modules that are required to run and build the web app version of Joplin.

1 Like

Ah fair enough, yes I’ve seen a post wrt jolin-web that creates cross reference links. Understood, thanks!

1 Like

It would still be nice to have that functionality built in to the main app (since it would then trickle down to the mobile apps), but it's still a start. :relaxed:

2 Likes

I really want this feature in joplin! I see that zettlr is also an electron app, would it be possible to integrate zettlr in joplin? I love joplin because it can sync across all devices, and zettlr for its linking notes feature. merging the two would be amazing!

2 Likes

The problem is: Zettlr is licensed under GPL3. That means that Joplin could never become a commercial product if its devs decided to go that route, certain libraries couldn’t be used if they aren’t under a GPL3 compatible license, and a variety of other headaches. Joplin’s MIT license is compatible with GPL3 but does allow for commercial usage, the source code could always be made proprietary, and anyone using Joplin’s source only must keep that license with their fork but do not have to contribute their changes to anyone.

I’m not too familiar about licenses, but I found this site and GPL3 and MIT more or less are the same in allowing commerical use?

I stand corrected on that front. The core difference still is how the source code is used and distributed and how bound any projects that use said source code is bound to being open source.

GPL3 is very strict with this notion and MIT is not, as long as the license is included with any usage of Joplin’s source code outside of its main repo.

Businesses have proprietary code (or code that only their business and clients that they trust have direct access to) that they want their competitors not to see because, frankly, that’s just dangerous business. And, if this ever became a fully monetized project or any non-free projects come about because of it, MIT really is a win for that.

1 Like

And also need a way to rename note titles. When you reference notes by id, there is no need to change the links when you rename a note. However, if the links are based on the note title, if you rename the note, you should also rename the references.

Or: you could continue using note ids for the syntax, but have autocomplete based on the Note titles.

3 Likes

Notebooks and notes both use IDs in the code, but the Notebook one in the code is sorely underused from what I could tell in my brief time working with that particular part of if.

1 Like

I think it is also important that the result is link in markdown code to not have a proprietary solution.

1 Like

As I now use Joplin also for my worklife there are some features I want to ask for.

So this time its about the joplin-internal markdown links: Very often I want to link different notes while I’m writing.

To make this easier I want to propose the following idea. Similar to the link toolbar button the user gets an interface to put in the name for the markdown link but instead of the link input field there would be a search field similar to the go to-function and so I can select a note to be behind the markdown link.

8 Likes

If you export to markdown, the links will be okay :+1:

Curious what @laurent position is on this proposal

1 Like