Syncing with the target file system does not restores notes

Version: 1.8.5
Operating System: Android 10
Device: Galaxy S9

I just did a sync of my Joplin notes for the first time today, previously they were just on the app. I set up a sync target in the local file system, put the path into the configuration, and ran it. It seemed to work fine, and copied what I assume are the notes to the target folder.

e.g.

Well, unfortunately I was messing around with something, and trying to figure out how it is possible to transfer the notes to a different install of Joplin, and I switched the sync target. When I ran it, since that was empty - and I had disabled the "Fail-Safe" option - it wiped out all of the notes and notebooks in the app.

Obviously this was a little bit concerning. However, when I looked through my file manager at the original sync target, all of the files and configurations appear to still be there. So I figured that if I just switched it back, and ran the synchronization it should restore the notes. However, that does not seem to work. No matter what I do, it will not retrieve an add back any of the data from that folder, the app remains empty.

(It seems that it can only add things to the synchronization target. For example, if I create a random notebook and note in the app, and then run the sink again, it will save that to the Target folder - I see that the number of files and there will increase by 1 or 2 - but it will not put anything back in the app itself).

Am I doing something incorrectly? Or is this a major glitch? It seems like a serious malfunction if all of the information is there but the app can I retrieve it. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I don't know if it makes a difference, but I should mention that this particular install is in an Android Workspace. I know there was some issues in the past when you could not sink, but obviously this had no problem saving the notes to the target folder so I don't think that's an issue anymore?

1 Like

I'm not 100% sure but I think Joplin remembered the last time you synced and won't sync any items that hasn't been changed since.

At this point I think the best thing to do may be to wipe the app data (not the sync folder! in fact - back it up just in case), start Joplin and sync with the same folder again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.