Synchronizing between Windows app and Adroid app via "File System" option

Evernote user newcomer too :blush:

I plan use filesystem method me too...
I use MyPhoneExplorer to sync folders with my Android devices which is nice tool for backup, sync, or migration needs.

Edit: I tried and failed because MPE don't sync empty folders and delete them on device. Still have error if I create them myself.

Not sure I understand. File System Syncing creates a bunch of files that can move around. When they come back to another Joplin app somewhere else, it has the same structure within Joplin.

Try a File System Sync to a clean directory and review the output.

@oliezekat Hi. Why do you prefer "MyPhoneExplorer" over Syncthing? Is MyPhoneExplorer also an open-source program?

No, only a freeware I use and trust since 2003.

Nb: I tried method with DropBox, it works fine and fast for my needs ; I have 2000 notes, text only.

Thanks for the information. However, if it's a closed-source program, I don't think one can ever be sure.

Thank you for the information. There is a slowness issue in the initial synchronization. Subsequent synchronizations are at an acceptable level. But both Dropbox and Onedrive, as well as Syncthing, have problems with the initial synchronization. How about your situation?

1. First sync from desktop (Windows 10) probably take 1 hour.
  2. First sync on my tab (Android 10) take less 30mn.
  3. First sync on my phone (Android 13) take 20mn but not fully completed (I had notes without notebooks and tags). Next sync take 20mn and retrieved missing things fine.

Next syncs take 1-2mn :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I didn't set automatic sync delay (disabled). I feel better not sync several devices at same time.
All devices are online over 4G+ provider with my phone.

These values seem like a joke. But you only have 2000 notes. I have around 11k notes and around 300 tags. I'm not really sure if using MyPhoneExplorer instead of Syncthing would make a difference.

Not so bad versus I had encounter with Evernote while last 3 years. And both Android or desktop apps are so smart :star_struck:

I will retry filesystem method later with MPE, and try Syncthing, but I wish prefer do syncing off-line.

Could you please explain step by step how you currently synchronize? It might be even better to open a separate topic for this so that others can see it too.

One of the most frustrating issues is that the phone screen needs to stay on during synchronization. This is because the Joplin mobile app doesn't sync in the background, and if the screen turns off, the app will be sent to the background, causing the synchronization to be canceled! Keeping the phone on also causes it to heat up.

One of the most frustrating issues is that the phone screen needs to stay on during synchronization.

"Keep Screen On" app should help you.

In combination with "Extra Dim" function (which should be available on Android 12 natively), the phone should use battery as least as possible.

In the settings, I set the screen on for 30 minutes, but this makes the phone heat up.

Your best option would be (based on my experience), use Self Hosted Joplin Server.

The sync it self is very fast compared other slow method (like dropbox, onedrive directly, or webdav via syncthing).

If you don't want the hassle, pay for Joplin Cloud which offer thr similar features.

Dropbox has max linked device. Onedrive will throttle your connection especially for many small files.

1 Like

I'm leaning in this self-hosted direction also. I am testing truenas core with a Joplin server that they offer as part of their Suite of apps. My only problem is the Joplin server won't talk over https. The installation that they provide does not include the option to add a certificate. I'm trying to figure out how to add a certificate for SSL encryption.

Is it possible that somebody who is reading this knows how to apply an SSL certificate of authority to a Joplin server that is part of the applications that come available with truenas core?

You can try to use Caddy as your frontend proxy, it can generate SSL Automatically (no public port open needed).

But if you are familiar with nginx, it can be an alternative.

@Radiant

Thank you I will have to read about it. I know nothing about either. I have a home network with a self-signed certificate that is valid and installed on each of my clients in the browser and I have a secure ssl connection for the web admin console as well as next cloud and Vault Warden. Each of those apps in the installer window asked for the proper certificate to use. Joplin server in this environment does not have in the install the option to select an SSL certificate so when the server installed it didn't create one. My preference would be to add SSL certificate to Joplin server inside the nas only I can't figure out how.

Each of the other trunes apps that I have deployed had an option to choose the SSL certificate to use and they work great.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.