Profile Version: 47
Keychain Supported: No

Revision: 599cf5b

Backup: 1.4.1
Text Colorize: 1.2.5

Sync target

Dropbox

What issue do you have?

Today I started noticing sync issues. I might experienced it for several days already.
Did a test with my other devices - no problem on Win11 and Android14 - all OS-es are on the same WiFi and location.
Rebooted the affected computer twice - the same result.
Attached is the part of the log where indicating the problem.

Any idea?
Thanks.

Log file

log.txt (4.44 KB)

Just on a chance, is that Dropbox on your Linux machine up to date? Windows and Android might have had updates.

Just a hint.

I think it is. The Dropbox client is v.203.4.4857. But I'm not sure how this is relevant to Joplin. I don't think Joplin requires local client installation. For example, on my Windows and Android, I have no DropBox installed at all.

Yeah, Joplin is likely using APIs to get to Dropbox's servers, not going through your local client. My idea isn't too valid.

If you do a search in these forums, "Dropbox slow" you'll see that many others have expressed concern over sync performance.

Yeah, I just wondering what is different aside from the OS.
Not sure how to perform proper troubleshooting and/or sync data reindexing. Still hesitating to go with re-uploading the local data to the target. Have to find first if local data is not corrupted. I did several backups/exports.

The sync status shows the same total item numbers on Windows and Android but on Linux is greater. So, some stuff created on Linux is not yet uploaded to the target.

I think I identified the issue, not sure about how to fix it yet.

Looks like If I connect via any VPN the sync works fine. Initially, I thought the problem was in my IP address (blocked, rate-limit, etc.), and that's why VPN temporarily solved it but in this case, why do my Win and Android devices have no problems in the same network?

Turns out that on Ubuntu the DNS resolve to api.dropboxapi.com is quite slow for me compared to the same on Win and Android. And maybe it goes in that timeout you can see in the log.

I suspect is something related to the way of modern Linux distro using systemd-resolved and the DNS stub listener (127.0.0.53). I have some issues with my corp. VPN, because of that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.