Start editing at the top in mobile app (feature suggestion)

As an ex evernote user, I think it can be interesting in the mobile app to be able to set the starting cursor by default at the top when editing instead of always starting at the bottom.

3 Likes

Ideally it should restore the previous cursor position I guess?

In my case, I think I would still prefer to start at the top. E.g.: I have different sections in the same note so I write in different places randomly according to my needs. If it starts from the top/bottom, it is easier for us to find the section we are looking by scrolling (if we are in the middle, we might not know if we have to go up or down).

I prefer it to start from the top because it feels more “natural” to me than from the bottom. E.g.: Joplin desktop, tipically text editing programs and evernote start from the top.

for Joplin desktop, it is no more the case since some days/week, but from the position cursor that was stored before leaving it like laurent said

In my tests, in Joplin for Windows 1.0.125, when I open a note it starts with the scroll bar set at the top and the cursor it's placed where I set it with the mouse (despite I edited it in the middle beforehand).

In any case, I just wanted to add this suggestion in case there are more people that could be interested (probably users like me that are new to Joplin and are used to other programs). I can get used to start with the cursor at the bottom.

If this change would be implemented, I would suggest to add it as a preference in general options.

1 Like

I can see that details:

in the last pre-release:

• New: Restore scroll position when switching notes

And an issue like this one could go in the other way you want that it takes

Thank you foxmask, I added my comments in that GitHub thread as well :+1:

This would be my preference. I want to start editing where I left off. This should be the default, but this doesn't mean that there can't be a setting that ignores this and starts editing at the bottom/top (depending on the setting).

I would love to have that option. It would be even better to open a note for editing where you clicked in the read mode just before the edit.

A simple shortcut or option in the menu to get quickly to the top?

1 Like

What about something similar to the scroll-to-top flag that pops up on endless/ infinite scroll blogs?

1 Like

Hi, having that feature in the iOS app would be nice. Thanks, rw

How is the state of this request?
Having this would be really nice.

Greetings
Marcus

1 Like

That's what I thought today when I opened a long note in Joplin for iOS. The scroll bar alway stops after scrolling upwards just a little, and the usual behaviour 'jump to top' isn't implemented when you tap on the first row of the screen (indicating the clock's time in the upper left hand corner).

The scroll bar alway stops after scrolling upwards just a little

Related bug report:

Thanks for sharing this on the user forum! The other thing is probably not a bug, but a missing feature: If Joplin respected the standard behaviour of Safari and many other iOS apps (jump to the top after tapping on the top of the screen), it would facilitate using the mobile editor a lot. So let's hope it will come some time in the future.

1 Like

On Android, when a note is selected, it opens the note in view mode showing the beginning (top) of the note allowing the user to scroll down to view more. When the edit button is pressed, the view jumps to the middle of the note. It seems that regardless of where you were in view mode, when you click edit it always jumps to the middle.

The ideal behavior would be that when edit is pressed, the view does not change and you can start to edit in the location that you were viewing.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this on the user forum! The other thing is probably not a bug, but a missing feature: If Joplin respected the standard behaviour of Safari and many other iOS apps (jump to the top after tapping on the top of the screen), it would facilitate using the mobile editor a lot. So let's hope it will come some time in the future.

Both issues (scrollbar and jump to top) will hopefully be fixed in the next version :).

Related pull request

3 Likes