Show tags associated with the note

I am a new user and I am surprised to see that I cannot see the tags associated with the note. I need to click the button and view it in the popup.

I was a Evernote user, currently on SimpleNote.

3 Likes

Yes, I also would like to see the tags. A minimum requirement is to have an indication that there is at least one tag attached. I suggest that the tag icon be changed to yellow to indicate this. A further improvement would be to have the list of tags shown, so you don’t have to click on the (yellow) icon.

For my use case I would love to the name(s) of the tag(s) appended to the subject line of the note, formatted with a grey background (by enclosing it with back-ticks).

I believe we had that for a while, but it had to be reverted because it had some negative side effects.

I’m sure Laurent would accept a PR for that.

Tag management in general could be improved. A few ideas: colored tags, search by intersecting tags, add/remove tags for several selected notes, … So if somebody reads this and would like to implement one of these things, please let us know.

Tags provide useful information which should be preserved when the note is viewed or printed. The user should be able to control this. I propose that a new type of markup is introduced for this purpose, such as [[tag-texts]], which would produce something like this:
Urgent ApprovalNeeded

This makes it only more complicated. A separate space in the UI that lists all tags associated with a note would be more efficient.

@tessus I think an option to show the associated tags under the titles in the Notes List would be nice, so you don't need to click on each note to find out which tag it belongs to.

As shown here:

As I mentioned several times in this forum before, I don't care as long as it is not the default and can be turned on/of in settings.

However, I doubt that the supporters of this have thought this through. There are people who have like 30 tags on a note. (Don't ask me why, I don't have a clue.)
In such a case you have maybe 2 or 3 notes in the note list, before you have to scroll.

I can sort of see a use for this but isn’t the concept of tagging to use the tags to identify notes rather than using the notes to identify tags?

Totally agreed, it shouldn't be activated by default and will be mostly used by people for GTD or other organisation systems. People that use more than two, three tags for each note probably have a different system. With the upcoming "hierarchical tags" is the question whether it's more useful to show the last tag in the hierarchy only and to show the tag tree with a mouse-over when the mouse is on the last tag.