[Using Joplin 1.0.179 on two computers, one Windows and one Mac. Using Dropbox as backend.]
I’m trying to set up an encrypted sync between two computers. My problem is that they both end up using different encryption keys. Steps I did:
- Set all attachments to always download (to have everything locally).
- Disabled encryption, saw my client decrypt everything and sync with backend.
- Synced all clients with it and disabled automatic syncing to avoid syncing partially encrypted states.
At this point, I should be having a clean, decrypted, synchronised state.
Now, following this tutorial, I set up encryption:
- Enable encryption on Windows PC. Set password. Wait until all is encrypted and sync.
- Sync on Mac client. The Joplin client correctly discovers that an encryption key has been set and asks for password. It does not enable encryption, though, even if the documentation says it should
- After syncing is complete, my PC pushes encrypted notes, and my Mac pushes decrypted ones!
- If I manually enable encryption on Mac, everything is re-encrypted with a newly generated key, and my PC asks for this new key to decrypt but still uses his own key to encrypt
Something is wrong. I’d like to MARK one common encryption key for all clients. Also, if I connect a third client, it will also re-encrypt everything and a third key will be set…
Am I doing something wrong? If it’s a bug, is there a way to “reset” encryption and start over again?
Key settings on Mac:
Key settings on PC (different key selected):