Search not working on iOS

Operating system

iOS

Joplin version

12.13.10

Desktop version info

12.13.13

Sync target

OneDrive

What issue do you have?

I am relatively new to Joplin. For the first month or so, search seemed to be working without issue on the iPhone app. When I searched for a word, it would pull up all of the notes that had that word in it. Recently, I've noticed that is not functioning. I've tried to rebuild the index, delete the iOS app and re-sync, rebooting the phone but nothing has worked. The desktop app does not seem to have this issue.

I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max running iOS 17.3. This is also happening on an iPad Mini running iPadOS 17.2.

02-07T08:38:24: "SearchEngine: Error while processing changes:", "RangeError: Out of memory for regexp results.
RangeError: Out of memory for regexp results.
at [Symbol.replace] (native)
at replace (native)
at removeDiacritics (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:174419:24)
at normalizeText_ (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:260420:64)
at normalizeNote_ (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:260427:37)
at ?anon_0_ (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:260114:48)
at next (native)
at fulfilled (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:259959:30)
at tryCallOne (/Users/distiller/react-native/sdks/hermes/build_iphoneos/lib/InternalBytecode/InternalBytecode.js:53:16)
at anonymous (/Users/distiller/react-native/sdks/hermes/build_iphoneos/lib/InternalBytecode/InternalBytecode.js:139:27)
at apply (native)
at anonymous (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:8754:26)
at _callTimer (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:8682:17)
at _callReactNativeMicrotasksPass (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:8706:17)
at callReactNativeMicrotasks (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:8866:44)
at __callReactNativeMicrotasks (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:1794:46)
at anonymous (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:1684:45)
at __guard (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:1778:15)
at flushedQueue (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:1683:21)
at invokeCallbackAndReturnFlushedQueue (/Users/laurent/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Joplin-gxgjdblegmgtewabfmurtgdldytf/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ArchiveIntermediates/Joplin/BuildProductsPath/Release-iphoneos/main.jsbundle:1677:33)"

I have included the log file.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this!

From the log file, it looks like Joplin is trying (and failing) to prepare a note for searching by removing diacritc marks. My guess is that this is being caused by a particular note.

I've opened a pull request that, when this error happens, logs the ID of the problematic note and allows search indexing to continue.

That should help out. Thank you!