Schedule automatic Windows backup?

Thanks again, I'll try it later and will report back :slight_smile:

As for the file sizes: well Joplin wants to be Evernote's replacement, so it will have to accept me large files and all - if I wanted just a note taking program I'd stick with Google Keep :smiley: All jokes aside though, I did read about the 10MB attachment limit but my Note 4 (getting a 10+ in a few weeks) seems to run Joplin smoothly all the same. Mind you, I have set the Android to only download when needed and I don't need to open those large files on there :slight_smile:
Maybe someday I'll reconsider my storage options but I don't think I could face going back to Evernote!

2 Likes

Well, I started, and here probably my ignorance speaking, but I'm stuck :slight_smile:

What I did so far: installed Autohotkey and made it autoboot with Windows.
Then I created a script file named "joplin" (currently on my desktop).
I pasted your script and updated the link to my own installation...
But when I run the script, I'm getting the following error:

j

Did I do anything wrong so far?

Always nice to hear Joplin can manage such a large note collection :smile: A bit more than a year ago it would have crashed the mobile app, and the desktop one wouldn't have worked that well either!

1 Like

It’s working really well! I basically live in my note keeping app, even more so now that I’m still learning the ropes. It’s been two weeks now since I imported all my notes and it has never crashed or even slowed down. Joplin seems 100% stable on Windows… and so is the syncing to Dropbox.

@Sophia
I made an error pasting some wrong code … I fixed it in the script above …
you have to name the script like I described: autohotkey.ahk, it will then be the default start script for autohotkey and will be started with it every time windows autostarts autohotkey.

Thanks!!! Working like a charm now... I have two additional questions :slight_smile:

1. How do I get to pick what folder it exports to? and
  2. Where do I place the autohotkey.ahk file?

Thanks again for the script, I really appreciate it!

Edit: Also, I noticed that the script only works if Joplin is on the screen (not minimized in tray). In fact nothing happens until you open it to full screen/window, then it starts the export. As you said, it's a crude solution so I'm not complaining - I can see how a built in script would improve on that :slight_smile:

changed the script (again ...:blush:) should be working now..it should activate Joplin even when minimized...(check with win+ctrl+j)

to answer your questions:

1. export folder is the last folder you used in joplin. To set it, manually export a backup. From then on it should be rememberer by joplin
  2. place the autohotkey.ahk in the same dir you installed autohotkey to. Usually it's found somewhere in c:\Program Files or c:\Program Files(x86). If you can't find it, reinstall autohotkey to a dir of your choice (and please do a backup before that :smile:)
1 Like

Whoo hooo, that works - it now maximizes Joplin by itself. Thanks for the script - I really appreciate your work on it :star_struck:

glad that it worked …
I just noticed that I mixed up answer 2 about placing autohotkey.ahk. fixed that

1 Like